Mark Carney right again...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Inflation not falling despite doing so in most other developed* nations...

UK debt to GDP is now over 100% for the first time in 62 years...

The underlying reason is brexit, and the UK economy is in a death spiral !

*Is the UK still a developed nation?

Sponsored Links
Time to pretend to pack those suitcases, book one-way flights and a container for your chattels again?

But what if he is right?

So far, I've treated the evidence that Brexit was damaging the economy, with a pinch of salt. In particular, I had put high inflation down to high energy and food prices. But this graph shows that underlying core inflation, which strips those items out, is shooting up. In other major economies, core inflation is falling. I was shocked by the thread on the price of takeaways. I am starting to properly worry about the economy for the first time. Hopefully, today's figure is a one off and we'll see the big promised fall next month. That has happened before.

1687365060315.png

It's ok, we can just eat crisps and baby food. SHould keep DOrk happy.

1687366557570.png

Sponsored Links
But what if he is right?

So far, I've treated the evidence that Brexit was damaging the economy, with a pinch of salt. In particular, I had put high inflation down to high energy and food prices. But this graph shows that underlying core inflation, which strips those items out, is shooting up. In other major economies, core inflation is falling. I was shocked by the thread on the price of takeaways. I am starting to properly worry about the economy for the first time. Hopefully, today's figure is a one off and we'll see the big promised fall next month. That has happened before.

View attachment 306512

I was round the supermarket picking up some bits and pieces, mostly raw veg and meat, I took a step back and just scanned the prices across the chicken, lamb, beef and fish aisle and it's actually shocking.

One of those packs of raw chicken breast sliced into strips, roughly one and half breast fillets was £5.50 ... a salmon fillet (about 4 portions) was £12.50. A little pack of chives which would have been 30p a year or so back was £1... the price of everything in general feels like double it was last year.

It's bonkers, the missus and I do OK financially but we're still feeling the pinch, I don't know how some people out there who aren't as fortunate are coping with this.

I can't take any arguments in favour of Brexit serious at this point. I just don't see what benefit or advantage it's brought at all.

Sponsored Links
Back