Mark up on parts

The reality of the world in London is that many plumbing customers are only concerned about the time someone arrives, that means being punctual whatever that means. The quality of advice or work seems far less important than the time you arrive.

There is a simple trick and that is to quote a later time and get there earlier! Its stupid but increases your rating in their eyes.

The clever customers would appreciate that good people are in demand and very busy and understand the difficulties of quoting times.

A Nigerian once called me at 1104 hrs to say the plumber had not arrived at 1100 hrs. I replied and said that he was on his way and would be there soon and a few minutes in london traffic was neither here nor there.

Then I added that in Lagos getting a plumber to arrive the same day was quite an achievement. Quick as a flash he replied " thats why I have left Africa to come to the UK ! "

Tony

Sponsored Links
Strange isn't it, i used to live in bracknell, although im from the midlands by birth, and everyone is in so much of a rush like the entire planet depends on them being somewhere at a set time or the very fabric of space time may collapse.

When i went through the gas pipe, he said he would be with us within the hour and he was, he could have taken his time for me, but his work ethic and attitude to customer service was obviously such that he turned up within the time frame he had suggested.

Which is why he ended up with the job of replacing our boiler, although he saved us some money on that as well, by having me run the 5 core cable through the house while i was fitting some new lighting.

LeeJC said:
...garage scenario...on your bill it is broken down into labour time, parts costs and usually the dreaded sundries.
i have no problem at all paying higher labour costs for a better tradesman as im sure alot of people don't, the tranparency of the billing increases trust and confidence in the tradesman, and already puts him on a better footing than a tradesman who will quote an all in price without breaking it down, i instantly think what is being hidden.
I agree. Which is why every invoice I issue itemises every screw, rawlplug, tile spacer, part bag of grout, part roll of PTFE tape, lump of wire wool, and part tube of silicone sealant, as well as itemising every plumbing fitting. When it's appropriate I even include a component for wear and tear on tools.

The only argument complaint I've ever had with one of these invoices was from a bloke who said that he would have nicked the screws from work if he'd know I was going to charge him for them.

I sacked him. He ... is an ex-customer.

Thinking about it the labour charge per hour would be applied whilst on site doing the job.

The plumber then spends time etc running around getting the parts before the job commences and this, to me, is a perfectly valid reason for marking the parts up by a reasonable percentage.

You only have to look at some of the people in B&Q to see what happens when people buy their own parts for jobs. It's more like a magical day out for them as they let their kids go running around the store while wondering what the difference is between a compression and solder ring fitting before suddenly realising that the pipes are in more than one size. While their wives, all amde up etc stare at you cos your hands are filthy and you've got plaster on your boots.

Sponsored Links
The actual 'cost of ownership' of a plumbing fitting bought 'retail' vs one bought 'trade' is probably in the end not that different. If a pro kept wasting YOUR time running off to Wickes or wherever to buy single fittings, you'd be writing to Watchdog the same day! But if he buys a whole box of fittings against the day when they're needed, he's already spent HIS money and needs to make some return on his investment.

Granted that in some cases there is a BIG gap between 'discounted trade' and 'full retail', but even pros will NOT get full discount on small quantities.

Think of parts supplied to you as if they were stored in one of the 'Self Storage Palaces' that are springing up all over the place. ANYTHING stored in one of those, after a relatively short time MUST be worth a fortune, after adding on the storage charges!

Hey - that's an idea for finding new business! Hang around outside the local Storage Palace and follow some punters home. They'll DEFINITELY have money to burn on REALLY SILLY things! ;)

Customer recently complained to me that a Plumber from a Pimlico company spent one hour going to buy a TRV which he could have bought from the shop 7 doors away for £23.
Part £30
One hour to fetch, £80 + vat..
he then fitted it, one hour, another £80 + vat
he then spent third hour measuring doors and windows and doing quote for replacement combi, another £80 + vat.

He advised changing ALL the trv's so they'd LOOK the same!!

He left a quote for £3500.

No wonder they can afford all those posh vans and boiler suits.

I've got to pay a grand to have my gearbox fixing and the van looks like a heap of sh1t since I backed into the ocrner of a scip, tried to knock a house down impaling the back door of the van on a putlog, and my latest trick was to pull down a customers iron gate gatepost and wall, which I've now had rebuilt and a brand new post and gate fitted, but the side of the van was the looser.

Man I wish I could make that sort of money and I would be off to get a new van, and just drive this one off the marine drive.

The thing is Paul, the likes of you and me make an honest living, and I wouldn't give up my dignity and clear conscience for any money.

Well, almost any money...

sounds like you'd probably miss the water......and land on some poor buggers boat. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back