Mark up on parts

kevplumb said:
nobody owes me a living i owe it to myself to make a living thats how i was brought up

good - I'm no different!

kevplumb said:
i dont do 100k projects and personally find the comparison abborrent
that was deliberate btw :LOL:
I only wish I saw a sensible amount of money in my own pocket from the 100k projects.....I don't, the company does though. However (and I'm not trying to be offensive) it is my responsibility to provide the client with the level of service and information that they expect from any size deal and therefore not risk losing business by 'brushing it off' as immaterial.

Sponsored Links
my suggestion to you sir is read down the posts in this forum for the most part we the regular posters work for a living
then we come home and try to help people that ask for our help
not whinging g*ts who want to argue over tuppence hapeny
on a forum thats supposed to be about helping people :rolleyes:

kevplumb said:
my suggestion to you sir is read down the posts in this forum for the most part we the regular posters work for a living
then we come home and try to help people that ask for our help
not whinging g*ts who want to argue over tuppence hapeny
on a forum thats supposed to be about helping people :rolleyes:

Ok, I'll leave it there as the insults have started - it's so easy on the web isn't it :rolleyes:. I'm not a whinging g*t I was just trying to ask questions that would HELP others understand prices charged etc. Don't forget, I didn't start this :cry:

As I'm just about to get our house replumbed I do, and will, appreciate any of the help experts give on here and the other forums.

Sponsored Links
I have a slightly different approach (which works for me and tends not to waste too much of my time!).

I have a couple of merchants which I use a lot and which therefore give me 'reasonable' prices. When I've priced and won a job, I sometimes even SHOW the customer the quote I got from the merchant. If he can beat my costs using his own efforts (time, petrol, phone calls, etc.) then that's fine - all he's got to do is get the gear on-site when I need it and I'll knock my original quoted cost off his final bill. Then everyone's happy - if the customer gets a better price somewhere else, good luck to him. He spent the extra time and effort getting it and I saved it. Of course, there's no debate about what he buys. It's what I specified or all bets are off.

I have a heating design, installation and maintenance business. I don't need to make a profit out of trading in boilers, fittings and bits of tube. It's hard enough to get quotes right based on my own costs!

Thats all very well Crodoncorgi, but what ends up happening is the customer gets the wrong bits and peices, wrong flue kit etc, and you end up running round wasting time trying to sort it, at £40.00 an hour it normally causes arguments.

It is very simple- cold callers fish for prices. If you carry out your work diligently, you do not stand a chance of getting the job. referrals on the other hand have been stung in the past and are looking for serious work to be carried out without too much haggling. Give me this type of client any day instead of time wasters who want 20 (free) estimates to then go for the cheapest with zero knowledge of what his needs are.

The trouble is people don`t have the courage of their conviction and say the price is X plus parts. Instead they hide behind part costs because they are for some reason frightened to admit how much they have actually charged . If you give a price plus parts and it isn`t accepted so what you haven`t got the so called hassle of sourcing a part which in reality is only a maximum of a 5 minute phone call to the firm i use. People appreciate honesty and will recommend you on that alone. As for the every day costs of running a business this should be built into every single chargeable job that is done not supplemented by excessive part costs.

This is the last reply to this boring debate I am giveing, it doesn't matter what the parts cost or what the labour is you get told the price in total, it's NOBODYS business what is what, you give a price, it's either accepted or not, if you dont like it dont have the job done, simple as that, go and buy ANYTHING from any shop, you dont get a break down of parts, delivery, prodution costs, materials, employers liability costs blah bloody blah, so whats the big problem with the building trade, GET YOUR QUOTES, IF YOUR NOT HAPPY DO WITHOUT, if I dont like the price of a CD at Virgin I dont bloody buy it, if I cant afford a Merc, I DONT BUY IT.

<accidentally posted to an old topic>

BTW, I'd have thought the rest of you could have worked out that's what I'd done; or have you got so used to me being perfect that a mistake is inconceivable :D

WOW soft you gave that a lot of thought before replying

:LOL: nearly six months of thought

gawd you like to get you fact right dont you LMAO

Dont worry, he seems to live in a different world to the rest of us!

One where the difference between 9.4 and 9.5 ( of anything ) is worth writing about, as if it is significant in the universe!

How many of those whingers that quibble about the price of parts (usually a boiler) to finally replace the piece of cr*p under the stairs which they were too tight to replace 'til it finally died because they'd rather spend the money on some shiny Merc, ever quibble when they get the bill for the service on the car and the oil alone comes to £40.00 (real cost -a fiver) Or windscreen washer fluid £6.00(10p)?
If they wanna screw you down on the price before you've even got the job, it usually spells problems looming.

thought Ped had returned until I checked the dates! Where are you, Ped, I think we all miss your rants?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back