Masonary plugs and screws ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Totally new to diy and i need some help.

The wife has bought me an outdoor old style station clock to put up in the garden, It's not the type that fits flat on the its the style that hangs out that you can see in both directions.
My questions are, What kind of plugs and screws do i need to fix this to masonary ?
Would wood screws work as they would be going into rawl plugs ?
Is there a set i can buy that has plugs and screws that come together to do this kind of job ?
Any links to items that would help me would be greatly appreciated.
I know my questions sound simple but we all have to start somewhere.

Thanks all :)

Sponsored Links
Obviously the weight of the clock has something to do with the choice, but I'd consider 8mm plastic plugs and 4.5 x 40mm long screws.
Naturally you'd need an 8mm masonry bit and a hammer drill.
There's a long discussion all about this, started by a gentleman who's user name is Quilted, if you'd care to have a scan.
John :)

Obviously the weight of the clock has something to do with the choice, but I'd consider 8mm plastic plugs and 4.5 x 40mm long screws.
Naturally you'd need an 8mm masonry bit and a hammer drill.
There's a long discussion all about this, started by a gentleman who's user name is Quilted, if you'd care to have a scan.

Ok thanks, The bit that really concerns me is that mist screws are called wood screws ? Are these still suitable in masonary after you have put the plug in ?

I will see if i can find that thread.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Mist screws? Don't know that one.....
Many screws have a coating on them that makes them suitable for outside, or you can go for brass screws (using a traditional screw first as they are soft) or stainless steel.

Mist screws? Don't know that one.....
Many screws have a coating on them that makes them suitable for outside, or you can go for brass screws (using a traditional screw first as they are soft) or stainless steel.

Mist screws new one on me too. Should read most screws.
Screwfix do a quicksilver woodscrew zinc plated item number11792 i was thinking of these with some brown plugs item number 22982.
Along with 7mm drill bit item number 91892.

Cheers.

I think you could find your 2" x 10 screws a little hard work with a 7mm plug, but its worth a try......you could use a shorter screw or go up to an 8mm plug - worth experimenting!

I think you could find your 2" x 10 screws a little hard work with a 7mm plug, but its worth a try......you could use a shorter screw or go up to an 8mm plug - worth experimenting!

I am totally lost by screws and plugs. I have a 8mm drill bit already.
So you suggest a blue plug 8mm i think these are, And what size screw ?
4.5x40mm means what?
The whole i will be drilling is 4-5mm so would that mean that 4.5 would just be big enough not to go straight through the bracket ?
The 40mm is about 1 1/2 inch in lenght is this right ?

You need to drill the hole size that suits the plug - I don't know if your blue plugs are 8mm, but if they are then its an 8mm drill hole you need.
(I use Fischer plugs, and the drill size is marked on them - they are all grey!)
A 4.5 x 40mm screw means the shank size is 4.5mm diameter, and the screw is 40mm long.
A 2" x 10 is the old imperial size, where the screw is 10 gauge in diameter and the length is 2".
If your brackets have holes already drilled, the choose a screw that will pass through, unless the hole is so tiny that it needs to be enlarged.
A 40mm screw sounds ok - you'll get the feel of it when the screw tightens nicely right to the end, and you can't easily turn it any more.
You'll need a quality pozidriv screwdriver too!

You need to drill the hole size that suits the plug - I don't know if your blue plugs are 8mm, but if they are then its an 8mm drill hole you need.
(I use Fischer plugs, and the drill size is marked on them - they are all grey!)
A 4.5 x 40mm screw means the shank size is 4.5mm diameter, and the screw is 40mm long.
A 2" x 10 is the old imperial size, where the screw is 10 gauge in diameter and the length is 2".
If your brackets have holes already drilled, the choose a screw that will pass through, unless the hole is so tiny that it needs to be enlarged.
A 40mm screw sounds ok - you'll get the feel of it when the screw tightens nicely right to the end, and you can't easily turn it any more.
You'll need a quality pozidriv screwdriver too!

So the shank size is the diameter of the head ?

As the pre drilled holes are already in the bracket about 4-5mm, What size head should i be looking for if i go for a lenght of 40mm ?

Cheers.

No, the shank size is the diameter of the screw....the shank is in fact parallel, and the screw head is bigger.
If your brackets have a 5mm hole in them, then a 5mm screw will pass through.
I guess that the screw size you need is 4.5 x 40. Spax is an excellent make - Screwfix 24547.
B&Q sell screws loose, if thats any help.

No, the shank size is the diameter of the screw....the shank is in fact parallel, and the screw head is bigger.
If your brackets have a 5mm hole in them, then a 5mm screw will pass through.
I guess that the screw size you need is 4.5 x 40. Spax is an excellent make - Screwfix 24547.
B&Q sell screws loose, if thats any help.

It helps a lot.

I dont mind buying in bulk as i need to build up my screw collection. Just looked at the Spax on screwfix and they seem fine.
So what size plug would go with that brown or red ? Looking at the mixed set at screwfix 22982 ?
And what size drill bit 6mm ?

Cheers.

Not the red, but the brown plug should do - 7mm, is it?
Its not a bad move to drill a small hole first - if its too small the plug won't hammer in.
On very hard brickwork, there will be no give as the screw starts to bite, whereas on softer sandstone there's a little more leeway and the screw turns in easier.
Once the hole is drilled, its best cleaned out by pulling the revolving drill in and out a few times, or blowing clear - stand by to receive an eyeful!
I'm assuming that brown plugs are 7mm, reds are 6 and yellows are 5mm but as I've said, I use other brands.

Not the red, but the brown plug should do - 7mm, is it?
Its not a bad move to drill a small hole first - if its too small the plug won't hammer in.
On very hard brickwork, there will be no give as the screw starts to bite, whereas on softer sandstone there's a little more leeway and the screw turns in easier.
Once the hole is drilled, its best cleaned out by pulling the revolving drill in and out a few times, or blowing clear - stand by to receive an eyeful!
I'm assuming that brown plugs are 7mm, reds are 6 and yellows are 5mm but as I've said, I use other brands.

Well John you have been a wealth of knowledge, Especially about explaining the screws and shanks.
I will be of to my local screwfix tomorrow to spend some money.Just bought the Hitachi 18v li-ion cordless combi drill so i can try that out.
Big thank you John for putting up with all my questions, Topman :)

My pleasure and good luck with your future DIY projects!
I have a Hitachi 18v li-ion drill, abused for years and its an excellent piece of kit.....a wise choice, I think. It does struggle on really hard substrates though, so out comes the ancient 240v Hilti SDS - and nothing stops that :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back