Materials means materials and not tools right?!

Definitely not, especially when they can claim the tax back on it all also!

Sponsored Links
Not if they give you the receipt they can't.

Whatever you say, all those items are within the estimate price in my opinion unless you state UPFRONT' the final bill may be more depending on having to purchase additional materials'

Sponsored Links
Diamond core incurs wear charge. Jigsaw blades wear out dso have to be replaced (5 for my Festo cost around £8.00).

Labour only charges do not absolve client of cost of buts that ic=ncur wear and tear. I bet if something you supplied turned out to be defective, you would be looking at the fitter to resolve the matter

it always makes me laugh when a customer asks me what i'm going to do with my rubbish, when i'm being paid specifically day rate. :rolleyes:

You could do what the Tiler doing a bathroom across the road did - dumped all "his" rubbish in the next door neighbours wheelie bin !!!!!!!

:confused: :(

Blades and bits are not tools, they are consumables and needed to do the job so are chargeable.

OK, not strictly materials, but close enough for this purpose

This all hinges around the following.

Has the contractor quoted just labour only, if so he/she is quite entitled to claim back consumables.

Has the contractor quoted a price to fit the entire bathroom If so he/she isn't entitled to claim back consumables.

If the contractor is handing over receipts it sounds like he is charging his labour directly to the client and anything else incurred as an expense that needs to be reimbursed.

Cost price is the amount that the contractor paid (not the amount Wickes paid :rolleyes: )

Once or twice I have come across a client who thinks that the contractor is making a fortune out of getting all the materials for the job and they will insist on supplying all the parts themselves. Now this works OK until something doesn't fit or is broken or has parts missing. If any of this happens I phone the client up who is at work and say I'm stuck now I need this part and I can't take it back as I don't have the receipt. Oh can't you just go and buy a new one ? No I'm on labour only as you wanted to save a couple of quid. Actually I don't say that (I think it :cool: )I say I only have a fiver in my pocket for lunch money.

And so it goes on.

Dear prospective clients, if a contractor supplies a part he then becomes liable for it should it fail. If you have supplied an electric shower for example you have no comeback on the contractor unless it has been installed incorrectly. So you would have to pay again to have it de-installed and then re-installed. Need I go on.

Well maybe ive led a sheltered life but ive never yet been asked to pay for a tradesman's 'tools of the trade'
Nor would i

Nobody is asking you to. You are paying for consumables.

Deemac, if you went to a tool hire shop and hired, say, one of their angle grinders, you would get charged for a blade, in addition to the hire of the equipment itself. It's no different with a tradesman charging you for bits that have become worn down/out (but not the equipment itself). The alternative is for him to to bung it on his hourly rate, or in his quote for the job, but you'll pay (quite rightly) for it somewhere.

OK - maybe going to an extreme but batteries on cordless tools could be (depending on type) consumables, as are motor brushes.

If this wasn't being done as a 'mates rate' job then I personally would expect to see wear and tear included in the day/hour rate as a small percentage.

As others have said it all depends on what you're paying for - the job or labour only...the question is as per my opening comment - where do you draw the line?

Things that are actually used with the tools and wear out/down (drill bits, blades) are consumables; things that actually make it work (batteries. brushes) are not. Drill blows up (while guy is using it, not you!), tough titty, he's got to get himself another one out of his money.

If it's labour only, then consumables wouldn't be included in the hourly rate; if it's a price for the job, then it would be reasonable to expect them to have been.

If it's labour only, then consumables wouldn't be included in the hourly rate; if it's a price for the job, then it would be reasonable to expect them to have been.

Exactly right.

The customer pays for the consumables used on the job either directly or indirectly.

Ultimately customers pay for all my tools as I buy them with the money that they pay me.

Sponsored Links
Back