Maximum KW for shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So im updating my shower this ones probably been in for about 15-20 years. Because my current 1 is so old im not sure what the maximum KW shower I can have or if I need to get someone in to upgrade my electrics.

Heres some pictures of my old shower, fuse box and RCD.

Thanks in advance :D [/img]

Sponsored Links
see where it says "Show My Images" below the window you type in?
click that, then on the pictures and it puts them in the post for you..

that sorted, the cable looks to be about 6mm², but without something for scale it's hard to tell..
it's 30mA protected, so that's a plus, but the breaker at 32A seems to confirm it's only 6mm², so you're limited to...

32 x 230 = 7360W..
since we use 240V here, then that's 7.5KW... not a great shower by any means, and you might struggle to find one that small nowadays..

If the cable is 6mm, it may be possible to fit a 40A MCB, in which case a 9.5kW shower could be fitted. This will depend on the cable length and where it is installed.

40A MCBs for that board do exist, but they will be very hard to find, and probably ridiculously expensive. (Seach for Crabtree SB6000 if interested).
Probably cheaper to have a new separate board fitted if the cable can be used at 40A.

Appreciate your help

Ive done a bit of research on this site and i believe my cable is 6mm

Sponsored Links
If the cable is 6mm, it may be possible to fit a 40A MCB, in which case a 9.5kW shower could be fitted. This will depend on the cable length and where it is installed.

I knew that, but rather than turn a simple shower swap into a job requiring notification to the LABC I told him what he can have with the setup he already has..
there's also no way to know the route of the cable from here....

whats the regs/good practise with shower isolating? does there need to be a DP pullcord?

That depends on why you've fitted a switch.

Is it a safety isolator, a switch for mechanical maintenance, an emergency switch or a functional one?

The Wiring Regulations say that you have to ensure that the switch is designed and/or installed so as to prevent unintentional or inadvertent closure, and if in your opinion as designer the position counts as remote from the shower then there has to be a way to secure it in the open position.

Ok so it looks like 7.5 KW showers are a thing of the past.

There is a picture of my cable next to a tape measure below.

This is aprrox length of my cable from board to shower unit

2.8 m through wall
4.8 m through plastic trunking
0.6 m through wall behind shower
Total 8.2 m

What will be the most cost effective way to upgrade?

Ive located a 40A MCB for my board on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/crabtree-sb60...UK_BOI_CircuitBreakers_RL?hash=item4cede8defa

Thanks for the help

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I'm thinkin a switch is more suitable than the pullcord for ensuring open, if the neon were to fail you can't tell on a pullcord. Pullcords should be deemed unsuitable if that's the wording

alot of pullcords also have a pop out tab as well as a neon (ashley being one) or a red / white 'window' instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back