Maybe out of place: Black & Decker Drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.
I bought a B&D drill some time ago.
The drill had had very little use, as it was for general DIY.

Charger Model: 486910-11
Battery A9277

A while ago i noticed the battary ran down, when i went to charge it the Red charge light monetarily flashed then went green to say its fully charged.

The battery never charged again. I though the battery had seen the last of its days.
Randomly i pulled the drill out as i needed it urgently.

I checked the terminals and found it held a steady 6.12 volts without charging.

Randomly i smelt the charger and it smelt burnt, so i opened it. As suspected i think i can see some damage definitely to a resistor and maybe some transistors.

See pics:

I tried to desolder the resistor and the shell crumbled. Eventually after googling I found what the resistor was.
These are the components i THINK are damaged:

1. 29 Ohm 5% resistor (Red Red Black Gold).
2. A1757 Transistor
3. S9012 Transistor.

Do you think the damage was limited to the transistors and the Resistor? or should i just chuck it and buy a new charger / drill? (Would rather not if this is a few quid to fix).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. 29 Ohm 5% resistor (Red Red Black Gold).

Red Red Black does not 29 ohms make.

2. A1757 Transistor
3. S9012 Transistor.

What makes you think they're damaged?

Do you think the damage was limited to the transistors and the Resistor? or should i just chuck it and buy a new charger / drill? (Would rather not if this is a few quid to fix).

Thanks

I think there's a fair chance a knackered battery is what did the charger in..

Apologies, i did make a mistake in the post. They seem to use the same charger and circuit for lots of different voltage units, it looks like they swap the resistor to regulate the voltage.

The resistor that was in my unit i think is: Red White Black Gold 29ohms 5% (Its too badly burnt to be able to accurately tell.

I thought the Transistors where dmaged because of the black marking on the circuit board directly under them where the solder is.

If the battery holds charge (after a year of no use still 6.12 v, would it be damaged?
How could i tell?

I am tempted to go get a resisitor today solder it and see what happens.

The resistor that was in my unit i think is: Red White Black Gold 29ohms 5% (Its too badly burnt to be able to accurately tell.

Good luck finding one.

I thought the Transistors where dmaged because of the black marking on the circuit board directly under them where the solder is.

That's called flux. Q2 does appear to have a bad joint though.

If the battery holds charge (after a year of no use still 6.12 v, would it be damaged?
How could i tell?

By correctly charging (you cannot..) and discharging (.. you won't be able to do that accurately, either) the pack while monitoring each cell.

I am tempted to go get a resisitor today solder it and see what happens.

You will not find a 29R resistor in a shop (or in these chargers, most likely...) Because of the damage to the resistor, the value cannot be determined. Unless you can actually identify the correct value, plugging others in there will have effects ranging from incomplete charging to a fire.

It may be time to let the cheap old drill die.

Sponsored Links
Hi Monkeh thanks for the responses.

I found this pic online: Its excatly the same charger but for 14.4v batteries.

And this which is slightly different charger but with 18V batteries.

I guess thats the only other option, although i hate throwing things away that work (well the drill does anyway).

I took the battery pack apart a few days ago, but didnt unwrap the plastic to check the cells. Do i have to re-wrap the entire thing or can i just put the whole pack in to the casing again?

And this which is slightly different charger but with 18V batteries.

Yours is 18V? That's Orange White Black, 39R. This is an obtainable value.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231188853221

Get the 2W.

I took the battery pack apart a few days ago, but didnt unwrap the plastic to check the cells. Do i have to re-wrap the entire thing or can i just put the whole pack in to the casing again?

As long as it's secure and nothing will short, no, not really.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
so I took the battery pack apart. Out of 15 cells. 11 are showing zero.4 are showing 1.52v.

I guess the pack is dead.
so replace the cells, try to use the mig welder trick. or buy a new drill it is.

so I took the battery pack apart. Out of 15 cells. 11 are showing zero.4 are showing 1.52v.

so replace the cells, try to use the mig welder trick. or buy a new drill it is.

Likely very dead, yes.

Attempting to zap them is a fair waste of effort, replacing them requires a tab welder and a source of affordable cells.

Get a new drill. It'll be lighter, more powerful, charge faster and last longer.

Likely very dead, yes.

Attempting to zap them is a fair waste of effort, replacing them requires a tab welder and a source of affordable cells.

Get a new drill. It'll be lighter, more powerful, charge faster and last longer.
Agree with Monkeh. I mostly stopped trying to mend stuff like this a while back. Technology moves on, and the new stuff is nearly always better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back