mazda deisel oil change

You would think that overfuelling to top up the sump with diesel would simply cause loads of smoke, don't you think?
I wonder how its done.....
Apparently Mazda are recommending oil changes every 4000 miles.....now that should suit Peter N :p
Its a sad state of affairs I think, that petrol engines are becoming more reliable than diesels these days......not happy about that!
John :)

Sponsored Links
DPF regeneration works by increasing the temperature in the DPF. And "burning off" the particulates. This is usually achieved by injecting excess diesel. The unburnt diesel coats the particles (think soot) in the DPF and effectively catches fire.

Occasionally (frequently for some manufacturers) the excess diesel makes it way to the sump via the cylinder bores.

Common problem with 2.2 litre Mitsubishi Outlanders about 2 years ago also seen it on Volvo V70s, XC 70s and Vauxhall Astras. Usually addressed by the manufacturers issuing a recall for the dealer to reprogram the engine ECU.

Hope this helps.

F

Apparently Mazda are recommending oil changes every 4000 miles.....now that should suit Peter N :p
Its a sad state of affairs I think, that petrol engines are becoming more reliable than diesels these days......not happy about that!

I don't know that it suits me John but at least it would seem that the manufacturers are 'seeing the light', as yourself I think its a sad state of affairs. The Perkins engines of the '50s and '60s needed an oil change every 2000 miles otherwise the oil wouldn't run out but we have come a long way since then. The early PSA common rail engines probably would stand a 10k oil change because they burn so clean, but we are going backwards now.

Peter

I don't think we are too far away from the 'oil in the engine for life' syndrome......thats been common on ship diesels for a while and is pretty common on trucks. A sample of the oil is taken and analysed for its performance - if its down then more additives are added.
With this Mazda engine, they seem to be trying to achieve what Peugeot did with their Eloys fluid (is that still used?)
What gets me though, is that the DPF becomes intentionally superheated, and therefore releases into the atmosphere the crap thats been produced in the first place :eek: It may be chemically different but it must still consist of particulates.
Curious that we in the west go to extremes to avoid pollution, yet in many countries east of us, huge amounts are still pumped into the atmosphere.
The latest chainsaws are now being fitted with fuel injection and a catalytic converter. How much fuel do they use a year, in comparison??

Sponsored Links
DPF regeneration works by increasing the temperature in the DPF. And "burning off" the particulates. This is usually achieved by injecting excess diesel. The unburnt diesel coats the particles (think soot) in the DPF and effectively catches fire.

Occasionally (frequently for some manufacturers) the excess diesel makes it way to the sump via the cylinder bores.

Common problem with 2.2 litre Mitsubishi Outlanders about 2 years ago also seen it on Volvo V70s, XC 70s and Vauxhall Astras. Usually addressed by the manufacturers issuing a recall for the dealer to reprogram the engine ECU.

Hope this helps.

Whats the final outcome then - is it excess bore wear / crankcase pressurisation or something else?
I've experienced one self destructing diesel running on its own lube - dont want to witness that again!

F

hi john.. from what the garage ( mazda dealer ) told my son this is normal for a diesel engine, if he is doing low milage then diesel is added to the engine oil ( sounds stupid to me ) unless my son has not understood correctly
mick

Hell please tell me someone that I am not completely losing the plot.....
DPF's failing to regenerate is reasonably common - cured by a good long run at high temperatures.
Diesel oil doesn't have anywhere near the lubricity properties of a 10/30 fully synthetic and there's no way anyone would be putting that in my motor.
I do appreciate though that DPF engines do need a specific oil specification to protect them, and that should be used at all times.
Lets know what transpires, Mick!
hi john..my son took the car into the mazda garage at barnsley where he bought it from, it needs an oil and filter change, they told him it's caused by not giving the car a good run now and then because carbon builds up and needs to be burnt off, they also told him the oil needs changing every 3,000mls ??? and also told him his timing chain needs replacing as it has stretched ( when he bought the car they told him the timing chain would never have to be replaced ) at a cost of £900. iv'e told my son to stick to british cars and local garages.
mick

Having had a small look at various Mazda forums, both incidences are well known.
Do the oil change, then consider trading the car on......all the time having a picture of complete innocence on your face :p
Your son certainly doesn't need this one!

Back