MCB orRCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where and why should you use an RCD or MCB.

If i install a new circuit for a kitchen oven, should i use an RCD or MCB. Would it be safe to use either or am i breaking all regs picking the wrong one for the correct protection

Thanks

Sponsored Links
as far as im aware everything should be rcd protected and even rcbo protection mcb s will be a thing of the past i reckon
dont slate me im not an expert in elecs just putting my view across :)

If i install a new circuit for a kitchen oven, should i use an RCD or MCB.

With respect. If you do not know the difference then you should not be installing a new circuit at all. If you were doing this (notifiable) work you would not pass the LABC's inspection.

I would recommend you get a competent registered electrician in. Get a local one at www.competentperson.co.uk

Sponsored Links
as far as im aware everything should be rcd protected and even rcbo protection mcb s will be a thing of the past i reckon
dont slate me im not an expert in elecs just putting my view across :)
For the record, and with respect, this post is ill-informed and should be ignored.

Hi Taylortwocities

I will use a electrican to complete the job but what is the answer as i am curious as to why two types of similar safety devices offer different protection. What advantage does an rcd have over an mcb. The earlier posts seemed to indicate you could use either

Thanks

thanks bs i would appreciate what should be ignored if not all and why surely there is some current regs in there or am i misinformed terribly bearing in mind i did make sure i posted as a layman or amateur as you will perceive me cheers for the reality call

Hi Taylortwocities

I will use a electrican to complete the job but what is the answer as i am curious as to why two types of similar safety devices offer different protection. What advantage does an rcd have over an mcb. The earlier posts seemed to indicate you could use either

Thanks

They are not simular
MCB protect Circuits and it's equipment
RCD protect you
RCBOs do both

thanks bs i would appreciate what should be ignored if not all and why surely there is some current regs in there or am i misinformed terribly bearing in mind i did make sure i posted as a layman or amateur as you will perceive me cheers for the reality call

OK, briefly... Every circuit requires its own MCB to protect the circuit cable against overcurrent. Additional, to the 17th edition regulations, most domestic circuits require an RCD to protect people against conducting currents to earth through themselves. RCDs are common to several circuits, so an earth leakage fault can switch off more circuits than necessary which can be dangerous. An RCBO can provide the functionality of both MCB and RCD and an earth leakage will only switch off that one circuit. So the RCBO is the preferable solution, and will be more common when the price becomes more sensible than it is at the moment.

OK, briefly... Every circuit requires its own MCB to protect the circuit cable against overcurrent. Additional, to the 17th edition regulations, most domestic circuits require an RCD to protect people against conducting currents to earth through themselves. RCDs are common to several circuits, so an earth leakage fault can switch off more circuits than necessary which can be dangerous. An RCBO can provide the functionality of both MCB and RCD and an earth leakage will only switch off that one circuit. So the RCBO is the preferable solution, and will be more common when the price becomes more sensible than it is at the moment.

Well explained BS

Thanks

So do the regulations only allow RCBO installations for Kitchens. I have just looked at my board and the main supply is protected by an RCB not an RCBO

cheers for the clarification mate but as i said surely mcbs are history and rcbo s are the way forward it saves having a mcb protected by an rcd rcbo just seems like all areas are covered and they aint that dear anymore thnx pr boy of derry

But not all circuits require RCD protection, so you would just use an MCB or fuse on their own for these circuits.

At the moment, RCBOs tend to be £15 - £20 more expensive than an MCB.

fair enough its ok now but if everything is rcbo now surely that will deal with18th 19th 20th edition too when it gets here in february or march or sep they aint dear if i wa a sparky i would try to go overregs with everything to future proof my customer or am i causing them probs if i do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back