MCB orRCD

fair enough its ok now but if everything is rcbo now surely that will deal with18th 19th 20th edition too when it gets here in february or march or sep they aint dear if i wa a sparky i would try to go overregs with everything to future proof my customer or am i causing them probs if i do

Who knows what the next edition of the regs might call for, it's not really worth speculating about. There's nothing wrong with exceeding the requirements of BS7671, but in the real world, getting your customer to pay for it may be another matter.

Sponsored Links
There are times when you would want to avoid using an RCD, such as a submains to an outbuilding so that you can keep the RCD protection local to the point of utilisation, and also split the installation across two or more RCDs.

I design many of my installations to allow circuits which do not specifically require RCD protection not to have it, such as cooker or kitchen appliance supplies, as these can sometimes be more prone to nuisance tripping RCDs.

There is no point trying to future proof installations. No one knows what the next edition of the regulations may or may not require, and it is unlikely to be published for at least the next ten years.

again as you will see from original post reply im not professing to be an expert in electrics and i appreciate all the replies iv read as im sure they will help me and many others in the future cheers everyone

fair enough its ok now but if everything is rcbo now surely that will deal with18th 19th 20th edition too when it gets here in february or march or sep they aint dear if i wa a sparky i would try to go overregs with everything to future proof my customer or am i causing them probs if i do

The regulations do not tell you how to do anything whatsoever.

The regulations detail the requirements for safety and proper functioning for the intended use. How you achieve this is largely up to you but in particular the regs require that circuits are designed and protected appropriately and that persons, livestock and property are protected from the dangers and damage that may arise in the reasonable use of installations.

Design and install to the current regulations (and the 17th edition will be around for a good many years yet) and all will be well.

Try and guess what future editions might require and you're heading into all sorts of hassle.

(It would also help a great deal if you all got your heads around the correct terminology!)

Sponsored Links
(It would also help a great deal if you all got your heads around the correct terminology!)

What did we get wrong this time Sir? ;)

MCB

(Unless you are referring to yer old BS 3871 ;) )

BS EN 60898 (1991) simply uses the term Circuit Breaker

(PS: The manufacturers are also wrong in this respect - but then manufacturers have no idea about regulations or British Standards anyway... which makes it a mockery that 134.1.1 requires we follow their instructions!)

cheers for the clarification mate but as i said surely mcbs are history and rcbo s are the way forward it saves having a mcb protected by an rcd rcbo just seems like all areas are covered and they aint that dear anymore thnx pr boy of derry

To explain the problem; the OP appeared to think that MCBs or RCDs were alternatives, rather than circuit elements which are used in series.

Your post, as far as it could be interpretted in the face of having no punctuation, appeared to suggest that an RCD was sufficient.

This could have lead to the OP omiting an MCB with possible disasterous consequences.

I blame the punctuation and grammar on my teachers. However the lack of technical knowledge regarding electrics and its associated regulations and proper practice,I will put that down to pure inexperience in aforementioned catagory, and i appreciate, as will the OP, all the guidance and advice available. thanx all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back