MDF Bath Panel - Top of Bath Lip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've recently moved into a new build property. I have a bath which is enclosed on both ends by bathroom wall and boxed in section where the soil stack is. I tiled the bathroom floor with porcelain planks (first go at this, turned out quite well!) Of course this raised the bathroom floor up by 2-3cm so the existing plastic bath panel no longer fits.

I have purchased a two-part MDF panel with a 'tongue and grove' pattern (https://www.diy.com/departments/cooke-lewis-white-bath-front-panel-w-1690mm/177678_BQ.prd). I have managed to get a tight fit in terms of height and have cut around the skirting going under the bath. The top of the panel has a bevelled edge that goes under the bath lip.

My questions is, how do I finish it at the top of the bath? By packing out the batten under the bath, I can either make the top of the panel sit 1-2mm back from the lip or make it sit flush. IMO flush looks better but I'm not sure how I would then seal this (a slight lip would allow me to do a silicone bead)? If I did it flush I could simply do a line across the bevelled edge before pushing it under I guess but I think this could get a little messy.

Thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
sitting back will give a bit more protection from water running off the side of the bath, and the person sitting on it.

If it's under the lip, why do you want to glue it in with silicone? Is it because you don't like the person who'll be repairing the bath waste?

sitting back will give a bit more protection from water running off the side of the bath, and the person sitting on it.

If it's under the lip, why do you want to glue it in with silicone? Is it because you don't like the person who'll be repairing the bath waste?

I agree that sitting it back is probably the better idea although it appears to be covered with a thick laminate type material so I'm hoping it'll have a good degree of water resistance for the occasional usage it will get (we have a separate shower).

I don't know if I have to glue it in as such (by putting a bead along the inside of the lip) but I will need to do down the edges (because the wall tiles create a 5mm gap between wall and end of bath on each side) and along the floor (textured finish on the tiles). The edge of the bath isn't finished particuarly nicely either (think rough sanded fibreglass).

I'll get it in a take a picture!

This is a rough idea of what I'm asking...

Attachments

• untitled(1).png
    untitled(1).png
    5.3 KB · Views: 782
  • untitled(2).png
    untitled(2).png
    5.4 KB · Views: 569
Sponsored Links
Its best sat back under lip with silicon to prevent water getting into top as mdf quickly deteriorates when wet.I never consider access under bath as its highly unlikely to ever need access if the plumbings good[not that silicon would hinder removal].I always consider the bath panel a disposable item as many are not designed with removal and reinstatement in mind.

I made ours in two peices and easily removable to access plumbing and waste.

Sealed all cut edges with multiple coats of paint and it's survived surprisingly well so far.

Made a frame for side of bath (killed two birds with one stone as the kids sit on the side regardless of what I tell them!. Panels are velcro'd to the frame.

Was only in there a month ago to change the taps, made it an easy job.

So I got the job done, set it back from the edge of the lip by about 2mm, then smeared some white silicone in there as best I could. Thick beads down the sides and along the bottom.

Attachments

• photo_ - 1.jpg
    photo_ - 1.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 822
  • photo_ - 2.jpg
    photo_ - 2.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 840

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back