Measuring Chimney height

What is the chimney built with, can you count brick courses or similar. Presuming you know the height of the ridge.

Sponsored Links
Don't know the height of the ridge, just want to be able to get a "near enough" distance measurement of a chimney from where I am on the ground with a quick method. No necessarily height exactly as it's for a cherry-picker so it's height plus reach combined so a linear measurement from where I am to the chimney is all I need. Just need to know of laser measurements will work when you're not aiming at a flat surface.

Take a photo of the end wall, and the chimney. Count the bricks in the end wall, and the chimney, add the two, multiply by against the measured height of a single course. If it's a hipped roof, You should be able to scale that part, from the photo.

For the reach out over the roof, you should be able to likewise count the bricks, and multiply by the length of each brick..

Sponsored Links
I would just use the turny stick method where you stand back, hold a stick, turn it round, measure to the spot on the ground.

OR

Stand back and take a photo, with something in the photo of a known height, you can use that as a scale and count the height

(you might even be able to do this off streetview)

Here's a totally random house I just found on streetview.

Look at the brown wheelie bin by the wall. 240l bins are approx 1m tall. So the gable end up to the top of that ridge is approx 7.5m high

Attachments

• height.jpg
    height.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 12
Laser measurers are available, just point at your target and read the measurement(y)
I suppose I just want to know do they work at oblique angles before I buy one. I've found a Stanley one for not too much so I'll give it a go.

Thanks everyone.

It looks like there's two versions, the one i'm looking at is the 20m one, the older model I think. 32 euros

i dont think does any Height calculations -
so maybe use on a 45 square with a level on the flange and pace back until hitting the chimney and then measure horizontally to the chimney
something like
i have a small little magnet level which I have used like this before - cant rememebr what i was doing exactly , something DIY

and so the distance from the building will be height of chimney

0-30m - BUT does not do height - the height ones i have seen are around the £800 mark
no recommendation, just saw while searchign in screwfix and seem available from the store in most of my area - NOT order

800 is a bit beyond my budget !

What do you mean it doesn't do height ? Is it that it doesn't do the calc when you measure the 2 other sides of the triangle ? That doesn't bother me really as I just want the linear distance from me (I'll be standing where the cherry-picker will be placed) to the item I need to access, ridge, chimney or whatever.

you point the thing at an angle and to the distance you want - and push a button and it can work out the height automatically

SORRY
I misunderstood, I thought you wanted the Height of the chimney to see if the cherry picker will reach up to that height - NOT if it will be able to reach from its location , go up to the height required and then be able to reach Horizontally to the chimney - I thought you wanted both

Yes you are right I kind of want both but I can work out the compromise between height and reach if I've got a good idea of the distance between me and the thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back