Media wall spotlights gu10 to 13a plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wanting to wire up 7x gu10 sockets for spotlights on a media wall into a 13amp plug.

Few questions:
1. Best practice here to wire from plug to first lamp socket, then daisy loop off to other lamps? They will be controlled via smart system, so just need to be powered all in one hit, not individually.
Alternatively do I wire all 7 down to a junction box and then from box to plug....

2. 3core 0.75mm sufficient or should I up this to 1 or 1.5mm?

Cheers in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
Can we assume you will be using led bulbs rather than halogen. Mind you even 7 x 50w halogen bulbs is only 350w max so .75mm cable is fine. Junction box or daisy chain? Whatever is easier/neater.

Can we assume you will be using led bulbs rather than halogen. Mind you even 7 x 50w halogen bulbs is only 350w max so .75mm cable is fine. Junction box or daisy chain? Whatever is easier/neater.
Yeh led bulbs, sorry should have said in op.

Bulbs are 4.6w, standby 0.3w.

Sponsored Links
You could even come down to 0.5mm cable, being smaller might be easier to get two cables into holder.
I would probly use these
in a suitable junction box.

Last edited:
Even if they were 50W halogens 7 of them would only be 350W. That's well within the rating of 0.5mm² flex which is the smallest size of mains flex sold in the UK.

the mains things to bear in mind are.

1. Ensure any exposed cables are adequately restrained to prevent them getting pulled and putting stress on terminations, either by cord grips or glands at their terminations, or by clipping them to a structure.
2. Ensure connections are made using appropriate methods in an appropriate enclosure.
3. Put a 3A fuse in the plug to protect the flex.
4. If stuff needs earthing make sure you earth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back