Mega drilling of new floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm doing a fairly large loft conversion and my structural engineer has specified triple 145x45 C16 floor joists bolted to the existing roof trusses with M10 Grade 8.8 nuts and bolts and washers and timber connectors between each timber- holes at 60cm centres.
It's a very large bungalow conversion so I estimate I will have to drill approx 1500 holes. I don't expect drilling these holes to be easy and would appreciate any advice or tips on how to do it.

Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
I am not to sure of the terminology but I think it called a drill but I may be wrong. They are a fantastic invention; I think they developed after the invention of the wheel.

This a drill brace and it goes with a wood bit, but you will need 3 shredded wheat for your breakfast as it is mussel powered.

I think but not sure (only ever heard rumours) that you can get them that is operated by that new fandangle thing called electricity.

A drill brace. LOL. And trying to use one between joists - especially with a wood bit in it for 1500 holes. Get out of here :eek:

The OP would be better off with a spade bit and if he can't get a normal power or battery drill in between the joists, then get hold of a right-angle drill or attachment

Make sure the holes are in accordance with current regs

Only be drilled on the centre line of the joist.
Have a diameter no greater than 0.25 times the depth of the joist.
Be no closer together than 3 times the larger diameter.
Be no closer to the support than 0.25 times the span, and no further away than 0.4 times the span.

A drill brace. LOL. And trying to use one between joists - especially with a wood bit in it for 1500 holes. Get out of here :eek:

Make sure the holes are in accordance with current regs

Only be drilled on the centre line of the joist.
Have a diameter no greater than 0.25 times the depth of the joist.
Be no closer together than 3 times the larger diameter.
Be no closer to the support than 0.25 times the span, and no further away than 0.4 times the span.

If you read my reply you will see it is very tongue in check

Regarding hole centres have a look at page 2 & 3 one this guide I prepared earlier.

Sponsored Links
Another thing .... if you can, drill all these on the ground first with a normal drill, then mark them up in to groups so not to mix up the hole centres then lift them up one at a time and fix them in-situ.

Put a few on top of each other and blast through several at a time. Get yourself a few bits!

Has the SE specified holes along the centre of the joists or are they to be staggered - to prevent the timbers twisting or cupping?

The ancestor of the angle drill was the joist brace.

I have one, kept in case I need to some rewiring in the loft during a power cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back