MEGA HIGH QUOTE!!!! HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just had a quote for the following work in a Bungalow as part of a family house renovation:

1. COMPLETE WORK LISTED ON THE SPREAD SHEET SUPPLIED BY THE CUSTOMER.
NEW WATER + SUPPLY PIPES/WASTE TO KITCHEN / 2 ENSUITES/ FAMILY BATHROOM.
PLUS INSTALL 16 NEW RADS
TOTAL £3555.00 + VAT

2. POWERFLUSH THE ORIGINAL HEATING SYSTEM (Optional will discuss with customer)
TOTAL £400.00 + VAT

3. SUPPLY VALIANT PLUS ECO TEC 937 BOILER INTO NEW LOCATION
TOTAL £1470.00 + VAT

4. RE-RUN ALL THE HEATING SUPPLY PIPES IN THE LOFT SPACE AND DOWN THE INSIDE WALL'S.
TOTAL £1482.30 + VAT

I am not a plumber or Heating Engineer but I reclon there approx 3-3.5k worth of materials. So 4-5k labour seesm excessive.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Sponsored Links
Don't know the extent of the work but why not get another quote and compare?. Could always try to imagine that nobody would touch the job and you would be forced to do the work yourself....what do you think it would be worth then?

COMPLETE WORK LISTED ON THE SPREAD SHEET SUPPLIED BY THE CUSTOMER.
That will ring alarm bells to many installers who want to get in and out quick. I've seen a few people who've supplied pages of specifications and requirements. Some were great to work for and some were complete nightmares/extremely picky.

The job is priced on what he thinks its worth to him. Only you can judge his quality of workmanship.

3. SUPPLY VALIANT PLUS ECO TEC 937 BOILER INTO NEW LOCATION
TOTAL £1470.00 + VAT

This is ambiguos. Do they mean supply and fit?

Does it all need doing in a hurry?

Get an itemised quote from a bloke who works on his own or with 1 assistant. It would take time but possibly cheaper.

Some people find ways to reduce the VAT...

Sponsored Links
Hi
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Any? OK then. My thoughts are, I don't know how anyone on this plumbing & heating DIY forum can help you as you don't seek any information about plumbing & heating. My suggestion is to argue your b*****ks off against whoever you have a complaint with.

Can't say it looks like a bad price either. There's a lot of work there.

As Tibbot said, this is a site where professionals offer advice on how to carry out DIY work. If you want advice on the cost of things, try moneysavingexpert.com.

NONE OF US CAN GIVE A TRUE ANSWER, AS WE HAVEN'T SEEN THE JOB.
IF IT'S MORE THAN YOU WANT TO SPEND, THEN GET FURTHER QUOTES.

End of.

Get another quote as a comparison from someone who has been recommened - simple!

No one here can give you an opionion with any accuracy as we haven't seen the job, if anything it looks on the cheap side to me.

Hi

Point taken regarding price and getting further quotations.

I will get further quotes and plan accordingly.

The boiler installation was to supply and fit.

Cheers,
Paul

If you aren't careful you'll put off the decent contractors and get left with the Stetson wearers.

I also expect your excel sheet will start you off on the wrong basis whatever your intentions.

The boiler install looks very reasonable to me.

As a rough guide I start at £300 per rad to supply and fit including pipework so 15 rads would be £4500. I can usually reduce that but its a good way to estimate as a starting point.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back