Megaflo cold water valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a problem with my hot and cold water flow, and I've just rung my regular plumber but sadly he's now retired. The water comes from a borehole/filter, and enters the property pressurised at 4 bar - have had this checked and serviced recently to eliminate that as the source of the problem.

The system I have is an unvented Megaflo, so I've researched it and emptied/refilled the h/w tank as per the instructions on the side. This has solved the h/w flow - which is now very strong - but the cold water flow is still poor. There's no discolouration and the taps have an initial burst when opened before quickly waning. On the downstairs kitchen tap (the megaflo is upstairs) the rate is approx 1 litre per minute after the initial burst.

There are no obvious leaks or drips anywhere and the tundish is dry.

I'm a bit baffled as to why the hot flows ok now but not the cold; looking at other threads I suppose it's because the tank has been re-pressurised, and once empty that flow would dissipate.

Reading up on it, it seems the one thing I can do while I find a reputable plumber who will come out to rural Devon, is to clean the strainer on the cold water valve set. Mine is an older part (#95 605 869) with a plastic cover secured by 4 allen head bolts. So...

Could this possibly be the problem?
And is this something that just a punter like me should be doing?
And if so, how?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

megaflo.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You might get away with having a G3 registered engineer clean the filter (you can't do it yourself, it's a safety device that should be only worked on by G3 qualified bods) but in my experience dismantling them often leads to an irreparable leak. Much better to have the entire thing replaced with a new control group

Sponsored Links
We are relocating one of this generation of cylinder and safety group (that valve).

It is a total joke of a design. There's me trying to teach the underling the finer points of unvented cylinder safety, and here we are with this abortion from Heatrea Sodyou, with the system's own components cutting the cylinder off from two of its own safety devices.

Perfect example of why I don't fit this company's crap.

Rant over :D.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back