Megaflow and Potterton Prima Boiler grief.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just bought a new house which had a new Megaflow and Potterton boiler fitted in around 2001. I was told by the owner that the boiler occasionally cuts out and I need to use the reset button underneath. This is seems to be happening once a day now and normally in the morning when it should have kicked in at around 6am.

I had a plumber in last week to replace the cold water feed valve on the Megaflow which was leaking, two rad valves which had become seized closed and also replaced the CH pump which had become noisy (£180 for four hours work and aall parts.

I also have a dripping overflow outside which I believe comes from the Megaflow. The plumber carried out the procedure to reinstate the air gap as it was only reading 1 bar which cured the over flow for an hour or so but not it is doing it again and I am on a water meter! The overflow was still dripping when we had drained the CH so it must be on the hot water side of the system. I have today repeated this twice and the same thing happened again and there seemed to be aallot ofwater discharged on the second attempt which makes me wonder if there is a problem with the Megaflow iits self asthere was just 5 mins between attempts.

Can anybody please offer any advice or tell me if they think these two faults are related at all. I initially suspected the overflow was causing a loss of pressure and hence the thermal cut out was kicking in on the boiler but am less sure now.

The plumber has said he will look at the boiler separately and perhaps replace the tthermal cutout. He will then replace the expansion relief valve or the entire cold water combination valve at the bottom of the Megaflow

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The boiler is getting too hot for some reason!, it could be a faulty boiler thermostat or the overheat cut out or the pump overrun stat... there are 3 stats on this boiler and I would personally change all 3.

It is also worth checking that there is not a jammed zone valve which is keeping the boiler running after damand has stoped hence the boiler over heating.

Finally I would also check that IF NEEDED there is a bypass fitted to the system so the pump over-run can circulate the water after the boiler has finished firing.

The problem with the megaflow will be one of 4 things, the temp/pressure relief valve is fault and passing, the boiler is overheating the water and hence is opening up the valve as a saftey measure (coinsides with the overheat stat on the CHB popping), the multifuncitional pressure reducing valve is faulty and letting in too much pressure (can be checked with a pressure gauge) or finally the bell inside the megaflow is faulty not allowing the air bubble to be formed...this can be overcome by fitting and external expansion vessle suitable for the size of unvented tank.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. It all sounds very complex for a DIYer to me and I am worried I may end up spending a fortune to get my plumber to investegate all of the above and put right.

I am thinking I may take out a boiler and heating cover policy for £10 per month and wait for a month or so before calling them out to fix it, I can live with pressing the reset every other day until then.

One final question, is my boiler a condenser or conventional type?

Cheers and thanks again,
Mark

I am thinking I may take out a boiler and heating cover policy for £10 per month and wait for a month or so before calling them out to fix it, I can live with pressing the reset every other day until then.

Mark

we come out and inspect system within 28 days. and check installation and operation of system. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I am thinking I may take out a boiler and heating cover policy for £10 per month and wait for a month or so before calling them out to fix it
Well then you're a sheisting git, who makes fraudulant claims and thereby puts prices up for everyone.

One final question, is my boiler a condenser or conventional type?
Who cares? You'll be sewing mailbags soon.

Sorry if I have upset you guys but I don't think that I will go to jail even if I do get rumbled! Besides, last year British Gas' parent company profits were up 40% to 1.95 billion pounds while domestic prices rose by a similar percentage justified by the gas companies because the wholesale price of gas is linked to the price of oil which rose to over $150 dollars per barrel. Oil today is down to just $42 dollars per barrel and all British Gas has come up with is a 10% reduction. Who is the sheisting git????

I dont think I will loose much sleep about getting one over on British Gas somehow!

did you not read my post :rolleyes: .

i love customers like you. i get to make you look like a dick :LOL:

BG "should" come out within 28 days to carry out a first visit and inspect the system but they rarely do at this time of year. I know this as fact. If they do come out they are in such a rush and so incompetent I doubt they would even notice any defects.

Go for it I say as they are robbing barstewards and a bit of the robbin hood spirit serves em right!

:LOL:

not an issue on my patch right now. remember guys like this make everyones prices go up. its no different to theft. i take it you dont mind your high insurance costs duen to fraudulent claims either :rolleyes:

not an issue on my patch right now. remember guys like this make everyones prices go up. its no different to theft. i take it you dont mind your high insurance costs duen to fraudulent claims either :rolleyes:

I don't buy any products from any centrica company. ;)

Who is the sheisting git?
That's you, that is.

Are these spares, or did you nick them from British Gas?

I dont think I will loose much sleep about getting one over on British Gas somehow!
You'll have plenty of time for sleeping when you're in HM Pentonville.

Q.What is the worst case scenario realistically?
A.They will cancel the contract. (a blessing in disguise)

soo he wiont go to prison, but guess how many days hes gonna have off of work... oooh sorry wronjg parts sent...ooo sorry flat tyre.... ooh sorry wrong parts again.... i stretch this **** out for the arseholes and give back to the lovely ones. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back