Megaflow

plumber (new blood) said:
................... telling the customer to fault find on any bit of kit i think is dangerous,..............

Better get this site shut down ASAP, especially true for the car maintenance forum. Those things kill loads more people than unvented cylinders too. Any help you need to get this dangerous site off the internet for good, please ask, only too willing to help. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
It often worries me when people give advice on DIY repairs on electrical and gas to someone who is clearly totally incompetent to be able to carry out the tests safely.

In this case reforming the buble is simple and totally within the capabilities of a householder capable of following the instructions.

However, the manufacturer's do recommend that all unvented cylinders are serviced by a qualified person every year.

Its an interesting anomality that the Building Regs require gas appliances and unvented to be installed by a qualified person but do not require them to ever be maintained afterwards.

Tony

cars are required to have an MOT by law, to ensure safety. a unit could be installed by a novice and be technically incorrect, so if services were not carried out how would anyone know? i saw a vaillant vantage cylinder connected to a grant boiler on a `Y` PLAN with no 2 port valve, whats the big deal??? yeah yeah,its ok does the job , customer has hot water customer happy!?? looks fine yeah its ok. the point is the system is incorrect because it has NO positive energy cut off, NO over heat protection. so is that ok? no it is`nt really is it. but most DIY`S would`nt` have a clue would they were looking at, so i do thing there comes a point when to much information given to the DIY`er is dangerous, they dont have basic knowlege that a qualified engineer would have, and so will 9 times out of 10 bodge it. anyone think i have a point or am i wrong for thinking DIY`s have there place.

Sponsored Links
plumber (new blood) said:
cars are required to have an MOT by law, to ensure safety. a unit could be installed by a novice and be technically incorrect, so if services were not carried out how would anyone know? i saw a vaillant vantage cylinder connected to a grant boiler on a `Y` PLAN with no 2 port valve, whats the big deal??? yeah yeah,its ok does the job , customer has hot water customer happy!?? looks fine yeah its ok. the point is the system is incorrect because it has NO positive energy cut off, NO over heat protection. so is that ok? no it is`nt really is it. but most DIY`S would`nt` have a clue would they were looking at, so i do thing there comes a point when to much information given to the DIY`er is dangerous, they dont have basic knowlege that a qualified engineer would have, and so will 9 times out of 10 bodge it. anyone think i have a point or am i wrong for thinking DIY`s have there place.

The first question is what are you doing on here then if you don't agree with DIY.

DIY and rubbish jobs does not go hand in hand, I have seen many professional jobs, that to be quite honest should be ripped out, whereas I've seen many DIY jobs that you couldn't fault if you tried.

DIYers come on here and ask questions, because they don't know or are unsure of the best way, to that extent it's far better to give good advice, than let them blindly chuck it in.

On the subject of unvented cylinders, the Y plan divertor or flow share valve is perfectly ok. You turn the valve around and have the normally closed port to the cylinder.

And before you asked I already have.

BREE and the manufacturers, are happy provided the valve is the spring return type.

just going by what vaillant technical said, the vaillant vantage is a pack the cylinder should always be installed with the boiler. AS in formed by vaillant. would`nt start f**kin around with 3 way valves just install it correctly?

also doitall what about other engineers coming to this installation with a back to front valve, you my know its installed the WRONG way round what about everyone else? i work mainly on vaillant systems, this installation method you have suggested would never satify the maufactures, an so` THE CUSTOMERS not mine` warrenty would be invailid, quick lets get on our hoses and get out of here before they work it out haha

If you had listened a little more closely to what the people at Vaillant were telling you then you would have understood better why they say their unvented should always be used with THEIR boilers!

I dont really believe either that anyone at Vaillant really used that six ( or even seven if correctly spelt ) word when ( presumably ) trying to train you.

It always creates a problem when someone with limited skills tries to repair a system which he does not have enough knowledge to understand.

Tony

You can use a 3port valve for many things, including a divertor, controlled temperature, and zoning.

As I said it has been approved by the manufactures and Bree.

if you don't understand what your looking at you shouldn't touch it.

doitall said:
You can use a 3port valve for many things, including a divertor, controlled temperature, and zoning.

As I said it has been approved by the manufactures and Bree.

if you don't understand what your looking at you shouldn't touch it.

but why bother?

thats what two ports are for ;)

You can use a proportional three port valve to divert the boiler flow partially to the heating load and partly back to the return to ensure the boiler flow stays constant.

Tony

Agile said:
You can use a proportional three port valve to divert the boiler flow partially to the heating load and partly back to the return to ensure the boiler flow stays constant.

Tony

A Grundfos Alpha pump would sound more straightforward.

doitall said:
DIY and rubbish jobs does not go hand in hand, I have seen many professional jobs, that to be quite honest should be ripped out, whereas I've seen many DIY jobs that you couldn't fault if you tried.

BREE and the manufacturers, are happy provided the valve is the spring return type.

I had a so called plumber from London pipe up a boiler, I had to cut it all out and start again it was so rough.

Just last week or so I have fitted boilers for a 60 something diy property developer with loads of life experience. He left all the boiler pipework and gas work to me the electrics (for the boiler only he did the rest to very high standard) and obviously boiler/flue position and condensate drainage. But he did very kindly clean up after me. He was a dream to work for, he took on board my snipets of information, most of which he already new. His work was to a very high standard I wish I could get people to work to that standard. He tiled like any professional tiler in this town.

It is a delight to work for and alongside someone who has gained such valuable experience and applies his knowledge with pride in his work.

Tradesmen are not all of suitable quality and care more about getting a fag break. Many times I go to set off in the van and have to wait while they stand to the side to sneak in yet another fag. If you aren't on the job with them they go very slow or do something really stupid or hit an "impossible" obstacle, yet you can find a solution (you have to after all).

I would take the view never to have anyone who smokes!

What was this "plumber" from London? Was he a 4 week course fellow with no practical skills?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back