Megaflow v. Combi

Paul Barker said:
Putting cylinder in basement, just be aware you need minimum 30mm drop from tundish before first bend. In most basements this is not achievable whilst trying to remain above a drain.

Call me Pedantic, but you have to have a 300mm (12" - 1Foot) drop below the tundish before the first bend.

Trust me, I make them, so I know these things :)

and yes, a combi is the easy option for an installer - most combis are rated for the (crap) instantaneous hot water service which takes a lot more boiler power than most folk think so they will easily do the majority of heating demands without the need for heat loss calculations - any trained fitter can fit one without really thinking about the job.

The problems come when you have to explain to a householder why they get scalded when the toilet gets flushed, why they have to wait till they are 60 for the bath to fill and why they have no hot water when the boiler breaks down.

of course, you cant lay all the blame on the installer when the average British householder wants a heating system fitted for under 2grand.

CCM

Sponsored Links
[/quote]and yes, a combi is the easy option for an installer - most combis are rated for the (rubbish) instantaneous hot water service which takes a lot more boiler power than most folk think so they will easily do the majority of heating demands without the need for heat loss calculations - any trained fitter can fit one without really thinking about the job.
The problems come when you have to explain to a householder why they get scalded when the toilet gets flushed, why they have to wait till they are 60 for the bath to fill and why they have no hot water when the boiler breaks down.
of course, you cant lay all the blame on the installer when the average British householder wants a heating system fitted for under 2grand. [/quote]

Exactly my point, CSMan. You explain my concerns more succinctly, I think. However, I do lay the blame on the fitters. Or rather, on those fitters who don't (can't?) explain things fully to the customer in a way that he/she can understand and make a more reasoned decision.

Yes thank you I know it's 300, just my typing skills are Thomas Crapper.

I'm all for DHW cylinders, but I'm no longer bothered if people want to keep their blinkers on. I tell them what they need to know and tell them what my choice would be, then fit their choice. If people want to be optomistic let them.

Sponsored Links
What on earth are you talking about joe. On secondon thoughts dont bother.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back