Megger mft1553

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first post on here, hoping i could find some help.

I'm doing testing using a Megger mft1553

megger-mft-1553-712-917_medium.jpg

Im trying to do zs test. My voltage is coming up but its not giving me an ohms ready, the earth symbol just keeps coming up.

Any ideas on what is up with it, and how i can fix it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are using all 3 leads? are they in the correct terminals?

Are you measuring Zs or Ze?

It would appear you have an earth missing somewhere on the circuit you are testing.

Have you checked that the batteries are not shot? If I remeber correctly on Megger MFT the earth symbol appears when they are finished

Zs i was using the lead that has the plug on the end of it.

I will try the batteries tonight, thanks for the advice
Looks like ive found a good forum here:cool:

Sponsored Links
ALways keep a pack of 100 batteries withyou, MFT eats them, alaways turn it off when not using it even if it is for 30 seconds

depends on the size of the site and the tests being done, but I've seen the guy doing the testing on a hotel I worked on change the batteries at the start of every day..
then again he was dead testing for 8 hours a day, so that's a lot of R1+R2 and IR tests..

it was a pretty big site..
2 bars, 1 restraunt, 98 rooms on 2 floors, swimming pool, gymnasium, various conference suites etc... and just him doing the testing.. ;)

Twice it has happened to me on jobs BAS, and there is never somewhere close to get some, or they are cheap and a right royal rip off.

So bulk buy mine and keep 2 spare sets in the case. The dead testing can really sap your cells particularly IR

My metrel takes C size batteries and lasts forever :D

But when you do change them, do you find the battary contacts can be a bit fussy? Its not that they ever give a bad connection, just sometimes you can end up with them not making a connection at all?

I found that if I popped the batteries in from the end, this would happen, but if I put them both in and popped them in from the middle (if that follows properly) then there were no issues.... I did end up accusing the wholesaler of giving me duff batteries at first though :oops: :LOL:

My metrel takes C size batteries and lasts forever :D

Yes!!

But when you do change them, do you find the battary contacts can be a bit fussy? Its not that they ever give a bad connection, just sometimes you can end up with them not making a connection at all?

Yes!!

I sparked a company-wide investigation into this problem, by changing my batteries one day & finding the Alphatek not working. I initially thought it was the batteries because on fitting the old ones, the unit fired up again. Strange, I thought. All the new batteries I fitted did not work, but the old ones did, so I naturally assumed it was the batteries.

Wrong!!

There is a small design fault with the battery carrier (which from memory is supplied by RS). The end battery on one side can be held off the terminal by a small piece of plastic on the moulding.

I solved the problem with one Alphatek by screwing a small self-tapper into the hole where the battery contact is riveted onto the carrier. On another, I used a Stanley to slice off the offending sliver of plastic.

Contact restored!

My Fluke tells me to change batteries before they get too low, allowing me time to get them!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back