Melted CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rest assured that I will be enlisting the services of an expert in dealing with this but in the mean time (the football means few are answering the phone at the moment), how does this happen...?

I'm told that the tenants were "cooking" at the time; I'm not sure whether that means oven or hob yet. The hob I replaced myself a few months ago - like for like. I certainly hope that couldn't be part of the problem but is it possible?

Related or not - this morning a lighting circuit flipped off, and they switched it back on about 2hrs before this happened. So someone was there with their hands on the CU shortly before it melted. Can't be sure I have the full and exact story from the tenants.

Thanks,
CU2.jpg
CU1.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Probably a loose connection at the consumer unit - at the cooker miniature circuit breaker.

Unlikely to be connected with the lighting problem.

Melting is usually caused by poor connections, either inadequate tightening or sometimes inadequate opening of the terminals causing the bussbar pin to miss the clamping part of the terminal.

A little bit of movement can easily turn a connection that is mechanically unsound but making good electrical contact into a bad connection.

Sponsored Links
So, a rented property.
Have you had an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) done for the property? What were the conclusions?

You should have had this done on or before 1st April. Details HERE

Be aware that even a well-done EICR* will not necessarily find every fault.

* And sadly badly done EICRs are common and outright fraudulent ones are far from unheard of.

I agree, but heating due to bad connections (if indeed that is the cause of this issue) do provide some clues to a potential problem. Smell and tell-tale discolouration of an area should raise the curiosity of someone undertaking even a scant inspection.

If the OP has had an EICR done, he should go back to the inspector and ask why it was not identified. If he has not had an EICR done- in line with legislation- then he may hold himself partly to blame for not being a diligent landlord.

@smp50 you are going to need a new CU. If you haven’t had an EICR done, ask the electrician to do one. now is the time!

Proteus - say no more. See more of these burnt up than working

I would suggest it's a loose connection, not the fault of the equipment. Proteus are manufactured under pretty stringent quality. I have been to the factory, they may not be the best but are no means the worst. I have not been for some time, so things likely not to be as good as they were.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back