MEM grid system question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could anyone tell me what the module on the right hand side of the photo is?

i currently have a light switch on the left, then a fused connection for the bathroom lights and fan, but no switch to turn the fan on and off - it has a timer built in and is keeping me awake at night, is there a chance that i can change the far right secret switch / blanking plate (?) for a extract fan switch?

without removing the switch plate, is anyone able to hazard a guess as to why the electrician wired a secret (?) switch in to this arrangement, and what it is likely to be for?

P1020211.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thats quite likely your fan isolator, rather than swapping it out, why not just buy a key for it?

It might be that the key switch is an override for the fan, to turn off the permanant supply.

<edit> Bah!

I thought as much, I did ring around a few places today, including CEF, they say they don't stock the keys for this, and said it wouldn't be worth their while getting them in!! Does anyone know where I could get one from? Or, even if I could fashion one out of a piece of ally with a pair of tin snips?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Buy a key switch module - cost you a couple quid, but they have to give you a key with it - they get enough keys for one per switch.

If you struggle - I have a few in the bottom of my tool box..........

Would be better to swap the switch out though, and alter the wiring so the fan is completely seperate from the light.....many people are requesting it this way these days.

We are finding that humidistats are becoming very popular - siting them can be a problem as they are not suitably IP rated in many instances, due to the fact the steam needs to get into it!

In terms of isolating the power to the extractor, would you say that my builder should have left me some of these keys? I have another two switches with the same arrangement, and not a sniff of a key anywhere !

I have tried the cable tie trick, the slot is so thin though that the strong cable tie won't fit, and the thinner one meets some resistance and won't budge the switch :(

and paper clips work well, but I can't reccomend you go sticking metal wire into electrical accesories.

RF Lighting said:
and paper clips work well, but I can't reccomend you go sticking metal wire into electrical accesories.
IIRC, i found a paperclip too chubby - it went in, but wouldnt move up or down :(

Crafty said:
RF Lighting said:
IIRC, i found a paperclip too chubby - it went in, but wouldnt move up or down :(

You have to prod the top or bottom rather than sticking it in the middle and trying to wiggle it up or down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back