Menace to Society

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These flippin' mobility-scooters are a nightmare. My wife was hit by one a while back, and there was no word of apology. They easily go more than walking speed. Just the other day one made me fall against some supermarket trolleys because it just wouldn't stop, despite me pinning myself up against the trolleys when I saw it coming. Again, no word of apology.

It's not like they can do what they want just because they fought in the war, or something.

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
These flippin' mobility-scooters are a nightmare. My wife was hit by one a while back, and there was no word of apology.

Why should your wife apologise?

there is some fat bloke near me who thinks that he can use the road for it. i dont mean drive along the SIDE of the road, thats too sensible. instead, he drive almost in the centre. and even tho it has lights, he doesnt actually use them. and then he will go to a shop and get out and walk. probably too fat to walk.

they should have an absolute max speed limit of 4MPH and they should be illegal to use on roads (unless crossing, obviously)

few years ago i once overtook 1 on my way home from work. was dark (about 6PM), fairly busy. he had no lights on and no warning lights on.

oh, and he was on to the left of the left lane of a 70MPH dual carriageway (and there was a footpath running along side the road only a few metres away

Sponsored Links
andy said:
few years ago i once overtook 1 on my way home from work. was dark (about 6PM), fairly busy. he had no lights on and no warning lights on.

oh, and he was on to the left of the left lane of a 70MPH dual carriageway (and there was a footpath running along side the road only a few metres away

Not sure a lorry would notice hitting that. The massive lorries in Oz (Road trains ?) hit kangeroos with regularity and just hear bang, bang bang !

notb665 said:
It's not like they can do what they want just because they fought in the war, or something.
ah but they can and you should be grateful for being knocked down sonny! They didn't fight the world war and kill all those people for nothing you know! ;) :)

I heard of a case in the Gateshead where some old dear was riding one that went out of control down a hill, lost all brakes and narrowly missed running several people over.

They checked it out, was perfectly fine: just the doddery old girl driving it having a funny turn and holding the throttle full on. :rolleyes:

I hear that wheelchair users hate them, because you should either a) have a proper wheelchair and deal with it or b) you're OK to walk and so should walk.

I don't think it is a coincidence you see mostly fat people using them. And I'm sure we've all seen one parked outside a chip shop!

Perhaps the sudden increase in numbers has been caused by seemingly detached factors as post offices closing (pension to be collected from further away) and a decrease in public transport services (harder to get to the more distant post office)? I know that a lot of the OAPs in my parents' town have a hell of a job getting to the shops etc. because there's about 2 buses a week or something.

Back