Useful tip if you break down on a motorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A useful tip,
Last Sunday I broke down on the M25 but just made it to the next junction on a less busy road layby for my safely although it's not always possible.
Breakdown truck explained to me I did the right thing because they have seen so many accidents when people are sitting on a grass verge near their car. The correct thing to do is to walk away towards the traffic at least 50 feet from the car and not above or in front of the car.

If raining you're better off getting wet than risking your life because it's well known when drivers see you on a hard shoulder they tend to steer their car to the left or fall asleep.
If they hit your car, the car either flip over side way or over the barrier in front or the glass will shatter into tiny little glass fibres hitting you like a nail bomb.

Also lorries cannot stop as fast as cars so when you see a lower speed limit flashing this is because it's to control traffic flow or cars on hard shoulder.

Also might be best if you have a puncture let the trained breakdown recovery deal with it as they park their vehicle way back pre-warning drivers with their rear light flashing.

Sponsored Links
Good post.

Why is it that these fundamental things are not taught when taking your test or advertised. :rolleyes:

Wheres my posts gone.

When i park on the hard shoulder, other drivers tend to fall asleep? And it's well known? WTF you on about?

Sponsored Links
I am not worried about stopping on the hard shoulder as so few people use the 1st lane :LOL: gives me a lane to matain speed and distance :mrgreen: and undertake them all

"it's well known when drivers see you on a hard shoulder they tend to steer their car to the left or fall asleep. "

derren brown goes to all the trouble of hypnotising people and all he had to do was stand on a hard shoulder somewhere.

Back