merlin gerin contactor problem

The heat tends to destroy them, but they usually discolour first then go open circuit.

A short circuit can often destroy them but most I have known then weld the contacts in the on position.

The red flag indicater is usually unreliable and faded after prolonged use.
But on the new one should be visible if the coil is energised.

Merlin gerin use a long part number stamped on the front,Do you know that number.

Sponsored Links
Contactors are simple devices. If the circuit is not working, either:

1. The wiring is wrong
2. No power is getting to the contactor coil
3. The contactor is the wrong type
4. The contactor is busted

A few simple tests will identify the problem.
Is the right voltage being applied to the coil?
Coil resistance - if open circuit, it is broken.
Continuity between the contacts - do the contacts open and close?
Is there power to the device(s) being controlled?

Don't believe what other people are telling you - the old 'it worked fine until yesterday' often means 'it worked until Bob the Bodger had a go at it.'

Sponsored Links
So, you have put your new contactor in, connected it all up, put your meter onto the supply terminals of the contactor and got a reading of 24V AC. Is this correct?

hi,

i have a reading of 230v on the incoming supply to the contactor
but it will not close so iam getting nothing on the other side

thanks

hi,

thanks i have feeling iam going to find the problem in the last place i look

thanks again

Ignore the 240V on the main incoming terminals - have you got 24V AC on the coil terminals ?

Thats the A1 and A2 - check this!!!!

Lets put that in bold!

Ignore the 240V on the main incoming terminals - have you got 24V AC on the coil terminals ?

:D

Agree with above, you need to check coil operating voltage on A1 & A2, 230v on incoming contact is just waiting for the contactor coil to energise. Don't believe Odd Job Bob and the time switch is ok, it sounds like a coil supply fault to me. I have not known a MG contactor to fail so quickly so I would ensure it is 24vac supply going into it before replacing.

Very weird set up this one. Why would a site electrician get someone with no knowledge of contactors, timers or control circuits in to do the job. I think an electrician is required, not a DIY forum job.

contactor coil needs two things to switch. voltage to coil feed AND a good coil neutral.
Eihter could be switched to provide the control.
simples no!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back