Metal bedroom sidelights - Is earthing compulsory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have bed sidelights in my bedroom above my bed. These were fitted in 1998. However I recently had to relocate them about a foot further in from original point, due to other building work.

I’ve changed the sidelights to imitation brass ones. The previous ones were wood & were not earthed.

I’ve extended the wires by proper means though the existing wires, though the middle core earth was cut.

My question is; do the new lights have to be earthed. If so where do they have to be earthed to, as lighting switch & sockets are plastic.

Sponsored Links
If the fittings are Class I and have an earth terminal, they need earthing. You need to check the earth core is connected at the source, then make sure you reinstate continuity to the fittings.

If the fittings are Class I and have an earth terminal, they need earthing. You need to check the earth core is connected at the source, then make sure you reinstate continuity to the fittings.

When you mean at the source, do you mean the switch?

Sponsored Links
I’ve extended the wires by proper means though the existing wires, though the middle core earth was cut.

this is the bit that worries me..

how have you extended the wires? where did you run the wires?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back