Metal board regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

Slightly confused on new regs with metal boards and retro-fit installations.

Where do we stand on plastic boards if we are just replacing mcbs or upgrading mcbs to rcbo's....

1. Can we change an mcb like for like without replacing a plastic board for metal

2.can we bring a board up to standard by replacing all mcbs to rcbo's without replacing board for metal?

I understand cost implication of replacing mcbs for rcbo's but it's more retrospective against old regs is getting me

Thanks for help

Sponsored Links
Slightly confused on new regs with metal boards and retro-fit installations.
Join the club!
Where do we stand on plastic boards if we are just replacing mcbs or upgrading mcbs to rcbo's....
1. Can we change an mcb like for like without replacing a plastic board for metal
2.can we bring a board up to standard by replacing all mcbs to rcbo's without replacing board for metal?
Interesting questions. I think that, amidst all the confusions and uncertainties arising from an appallingly-written regulation, most people are probably thinking that a pre-existing plastic enclosure can persist, even if most/all of the contents are changed - which is just about as (il)logical as much of the rest of the regulation! (it's similarly uncertain as to whether replacing most/all of the contents of a CU is notifiable - but that's a different matter!).

In other words, your guess is probably as good as anyone else's :) I'll be interested to hear other views.

Kind Regards, John

Of course.

Or even change one for a different rating. It's only if you are installing a CU that you need concern yourself about the requirements for magic ones which won't burn.

Of course. It's only if you are installing a CU that you need concern yourself about the requirements for magic ones which won't burn.

Sponsored Links
You could even buy an empty metal enclosure, and simply transplant the whole din-rail, complete with original contents, straight into the new casing, in the case of Wylex units made from 1998 onwards (The ones with the Red and Green positive contact indication panels on the top of the mains switch). The din-rail is held in by two large screws on a Wylex unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back