New fuseboard required or not?

AOD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

New user so go easy please. ;)

We're moving into a 2 storey detached house that has an older style fuseboard. The main fuse board is not setup for RCD protection (the house dates from the 50s), instead using MCBs instead.

We've had a registered electrician in to look over the system and his findings were basically as follows:

The wiring generally is in good condition and is not in need of urgent replacement/rewiring (which is good).
The fuseboard in his opinion needs replacing as it doesn't provide any RCD protection and wouldn't meet current regs.

Now I can completely accept that the board wouldn't meet current regs if it were to be installed today, but what do the regs say about replacing/adding items to an existing electrical system? We're intending to have the kitchen replaced and some additional power points in certain rooms.

In such circumstances, would the board need to be brought up to current standards before this work could be carried out?

If we do need to replace the board, I have no hesitation in doing so as my family's safety is the first priority but I would like some confirmation as to what the relevant regulations require.

Thanks,

Anthony

Sponsored Links
Kitchen electrics is notifiable and will require RCD.

The kitchen work will have to be to 17th ed so 10mm earth bonding for gas and water will also be required.

The addition of a few sockets on existing circuits wouldn't require a revamp to 17th.

Since the kitchen ring, the cooker and lights are all likely to change then changing up to a full 17th ed system with twin RCD's or a suite of RCBO's is the way forward.

With the CU change the main tails will require changing to 25mm, a cut off would be prudent if one doesn't exist, the main earth will need to be 16mm and the bonding has already been covered.

Subject to design, number of ways on board budget 10w board, 4 circuits on each RCD, tails, bonding, main earth, cut out about £150-£175 materials (unknown bonding runs) + days work to instal, term and test.

If I understood the electrician I had recently then the new circuits would have to be buried deep or RCD protected but not any existing ones that got reconnected? Although it all seemed a bit open to interpretation the way it was described.

In the end as I didn't have enough ways for the new hob/oven circuits I needed I ended up with a new CU with RCDs on and everything tested and the paperwork to prove it - for a relatively small amount of money I'm liking the peace of mind.

Sponsored Links
You dont need to bring the whole board upto 17th eidtion if your just adding a few sockets, you can just swap the MCB for the kitchen sockets for an RCBO which is an MCB with RCD built in aswell (part cost £25-£40 depending on brand).
Personally i'd get a new Dual RCD board, should cost £300-£400 including parts, labour, testing & peace of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back