EICR Replacement Fuseboard Advice

That's certainly seemingly a lot cheaper (at least for "the next 25 days")!

It seems to be a rather (very?) odd selection of MCBs it comes with ...

Kind Regards, John
TBH I find the combination supplied never fits the requirements. I changed CU's in 2 of my 1 bed properties last month, they both had a socket adjacent to the CU for which there wasn't a spare 16A and changed the cable to 6mm² to use on a 32A OCD.

Sponsored Links
TBH I find the combination supplied never fits the requirements. I changed CU's in 2 of my 1 bed properties last month, they both had a socket adjacent to the CU for which there wasn't a spare 16A and changed the cable to 6mm² to use on a 32A OCD.
One sometimes can't help but feel that the selection reflects 'which ones they need to get rid of' rather than any sensible estimate of the most common requirements.

I commented on this one since the selection of MCBs seemed particularly odd - I don't think it would correspond to 'what was actually wanted/needed' for hardly any domestic property!

Kind Regards, John

Just to be as picky as is becoming the custom...
I don't think it would correspond to 'what was actually wanted/needed' for hardly any domestic property! is effectively a double negative.
I think you meant:
I think it would correspond to 'what was actually wanted/needed' for hardly any domestic property!

Just to be as picky as is becoming the custom... I don't think it would correspond to 'what was actually wanted/needed' for hardly any domestic property! is effectively a double negative. I think you meant: I think it would correspond to 'what was actually wanted/needed' for hardly any domestic property!
I can't disagree that a picky person could say that.

However, at least for me, it's an example of a case in which I have to read the 'correct' version two or three times before I am sure that I have correctly understood what is being said - whereas, at least for me, I only need to read the 'incorrect' version once for 'effective communication' to have been achieved.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The design includes stipulating what is required, no way should any electrician get the client to select what to fit, give client options yes even say buy that, but can't leave it to untrained client.

It's completely up to you, but I can't hardly agree with you. :D
That one is ambiguous, as well as everything else. However one quantified "hardly agree", "can't hardly agree" could mean either more or less agreement than "hardly [any agreement]".

Kind Regards, john

Yes it should have said chance, not change. Was in hospital at the time using a phone.

Had I been fitting the consumer unit I am sure I would have noticed the RCBO's were type AC curve B before fitting, but it was fitted by a scheme member mainly due to the work of removing the old one which was between the original ceiling and new false ceiling so rather an awkward job, every cable had to be extended with arms through holes cut in plaster board. With a mauled hand I was simply not dexterous enough to do the job myself.

I had collected all the materials likely to be required, and left him to do the job. And using type AC RCBO's is not against the regulations, and he did exactly what I asked, in theory I should have signed the design section, although I didn't, but I have the qualifications to design the installation and he was fully aware of that, he was my apprentice years ago.

But I made a mistake, I got the wrong RCBO's not him, and I have to either pay out for new RCBO's or live with the type AC. There is no way I can blame him for the error, it was my fault. I saw type B written on the packets and though Oh did not expect that type A would have been good enough, and in hind sight it should have rang alarm bells, and I should have opened a packet and looked at the logo on the device, as it seems type B RCBO's are not made as single module width so should have realised it was curve B not type B.

But if as an electrical engineer I can get it wrong when selecting materials, then clearly not a job for Joe public. Fair enough for the electrician to give a list to client and say can you pick up these, I have done that with other trades, he has said I have ordered all the bits at this place 20 miles away, can you pick them up and pay for them, and I have done just that, but the tradesman has selected the goods.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back