Metal ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lighting circuits are run in red/black cabling - i.e. no earth wire.

All the ceiling roses and bulb holders are in plastic/bakelite so presumably meet the regulations in force at the time of installation.

My daughter has brought home a mini-chandelier light unit which she wants me to install in her bedroom but is of all-metal construction including the ceiling rose, which item has a three way terminal block coded brown blue and earth.

Could anyone advise me if it is possible to use this light fitting by running an earth wire to a convenient earthing point in the building and what that point is likely to be? (for example there is a rising cold main pipe to the storage tank just above the room.

Thank you,

brianivor

Sponsored Links
Red/black does not necessarily mean no earth!

Are the cables plasticy?

If there is no earth, then you can not use the fitting...

My advice would be to rewire the lighting circuits so there is a CPC ( earth wire ) at every lighting point and switch on the circuit.
By the sounds of it a Periodic Inspection Report would be a good idea to highlight any other remedial works required.

And forget all about even considering using a water pipe to provide an earth.

That is a very dangerous idea.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your helpful replies I guess my daughter will have to make do with a conventional light fitting.

To mo2, I didn't understand what you meant by "plasticy" Certainly the cabling is not braided - the house was built in 1961ish if that helps.

Last ditch question - would an RCD work in this situation?

Just out of interest, what is a rewire likely to cost for a fairly conventional 3 bedroom house and, just as important, does it meas the house has to have all the floors up?

About the price of a second hand car. (Honestly its that varied). Being in Essex you'll get more expensive quotes on average than me in Doncaster, up Noorth.

And yes the floors will need to come up, unless you want surface mounted cables or cables in trunking! :eek: (Let me guess, you've just got the house as you want it, decorated to a resaonable standard with laminate flooring - odd how people never think about their electrical system until AFTER they decorate . . . )

Last ditch question - would an RCD work in this situation?

A rcd would NOT be a way to get round the situation.
And would afaik contravene the regs.

If you mean physically "work", most rcd's only need a L and N connection to operate.

So one would operate in a fault condition, on a circuit with no earth , but most likely only after at least 30ma of current has passed to earth,because the lights are NOT earthed, then it may pass through your body to reach that earth.
So again this would NOT be a solution to your problem.

Thanks everyone,

All your advice seems to be pointing in one direction which makes a decision a little bit easier. I'm putting the house up for sale and buying a newer one!

Best wishes to you all.

Thanks everyone,

All your advice seems to be pointing in one direction which makes a decision a little bit easier. I'm putting the house up for sale and buying a newer one!

Best wishes to you all.

If you do that you will almost certainly loose more money than it will cost for a re-wire :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back