Metal faceplates / plastic gaskets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been reading stuff about these and keep finding different opinions! Could someone please enlighten me regarding the correct way to ensure proper earthing with metal socket faceplates/light switches.

We do have earth wires, so that's a good start! Now some sockets/switches have metal back boxes, and there is that extra "pin" where I think you should have an additional "flying?" earth, extra to the regular one. So, if you already have the regular earth wired in, is the extra one essential and why (or if not, why not)? None of mine have these extra earth wires in (sockets changed by previous house owners).

Now some of the other sockets use those plastic backboxes that are made for hollow walls and these don't have the extra "pin" for the extra earth wire. Are these safe to use with metal faceplates (I have read somewhere that metal faceplates should always have metal back boxes). If not safe as they are, is there any way of making them safe without half demolishing the walls to get them out (what would you use instead for hollow walls if they have to be removed)?

Finally (if that's not enough!), my qualified electrician installed metal dimmer/sockets for me recently - and chucked away the plastic gasket. I now have read on another post that if you don't use these, the metal faceplates will tarnish!!! :rolleyes: So I am not too happy with my electrician at the moment. Does anyone know if you can pick up these plastic bits anywhere, as I can easily fit them on myself, but can't find where to buy them individually.

Answers in plain English please!!!

Thanks for any and all answers...!

Sponsored Links
Mallory said:
We do have earth wires, so that's a good start! Now some sockets/switches have metal back boxes, and there is that extra "pin" where I think you should have an additional "flying?" earth, extra to the regular one. So, if you already have the regular earth wired in, is the extra one essential and why (or if not, why not)? None of mine have these extra earth wires in (sockets changed by previous house owners).

The links should be fitted. This is to ensure the back box is earthed, so that if one of the live cables became nicked to the backbox the fuse will blow, making the fault safe.

Now some of the other sockets use those plastic backboxes that are made for hollow walls and these don't have the extra "pin" for the extra earth wire. Are these safe to use with metal faceplates (I have read somewhere that metal faceplates should always have metal back boxes). If not safe as they are, is there any way of making them safe without half demolishing the walls to get them out (what would you use instead for hollow walls if they have to be removed)?

As the back box is plastic (and therefore insulated) there is no need to connect an additional earth wire to these boxes. Also there is no reason that I have ever heard of to not fit metal faceplates to plastic boxes. (perhaps it was that you shouldn't mount metal faces to surface boxes. There is no reason not to do this other than it looks daft IMHO)

Finally (if that's not enough!), my qualified electrician installed metal dimmer/sockets for me recently - and chucked away the plastic gasket. I now have read on another post that if you don't use these, the metal faceplates will tarnish!!! :rolleyes: So I am not too happy with my electrician at the moment. Does anyone know if you can pick up these plastic bits anywhere, as I can easily fit them on myself, but can't find where to buy them individually.

I am not sure if you can buy these seperatly or not. I beleive these ar not required if the wall they are mounted on is properly dry. You could make sure the wall is painted where the plate touches the wall, or cut something out of clear plastic to prevent moisture passing from the plaster to the switch.

Thanks for the reply, RF Lighting (how are things in lovely Leeds? I'm an ex-Leeds girl myself)!

So does this mean we are in imminent danger of blowing ourselves up with the dodgy-ly earthed metal sockets already in? I've got three little kids in the house and about 30 sockets that I imagine are all wrong!

Thanks for the reassurance re the plastic boxes - although I definitely read you should always fit metal faceplates to metal backboxes (but it was in quite an early 1990s DIY manual).

As for the plastic gaskets, I think if they can't be bought separately, then a "DIY" version shouldn't be too hard to create from a bit of plastic sheeting - thanks for that!

Leeds is dry but muggy tonight. The sockets are in no way imminently dangerous, but should be sorted in due course. The gasket doesn't need to be anything spectacular, aslong as water can't penetrate it.

Sponsored Links
I will go with what RF says. I feel it is good practice to put flying leads in the boxes.

However, BS7671 mo longer requires this as long as one of the lugs is fixed.

Thanks both for your advice! I'll rest a bit easier tonight... and tomorrow, start sorting out those sockets...!

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back