Meter change and DNO fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to know what should happen if the operator who turns up to install a smart meter finds an issue with the DNO fusebox.
Should the operator contact the DNO at this end or is this left to the homeowner to do?

Our DNO fusebox has the seal missing and the seal holder where the seal is supposed to go through is cracked at the edge.
Nothing is exposed. As the area has suffered from burglaries over the years I suspect said fuse must have been pulled by thiefs
at some point hence the reason why the hole where the fuse wire goes through is frayed.

I just want to be prepared prior to the operator's visit. I am aware that sometimes it is unclear as to whom is supposed to report this stuff if it becomes an issue.

Pic attached for clarity. you can see the left edge of the fuse holder is frayed.

Attachments

• 20220729_114147 (1).jpg
    20220729_114147 (1).jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 188
Sponsored Links
A lot of DNO fuses are like this, not necessarily through theft, just wear and tear.

In my experience the meter operator has always pressed ahead with the meter change and reported the lack of seal to the DNO. Then at some later date the DNO turns up and installs a retrofit seal over the body of the fuse.

A lot of DNO fuses are like this, not necessarily through theft, just wear and tear.

In my experience the meter operator has always pressed ahead with the meter change and reported the lack of seal to the DNO. Then at some later date the DNO turns up and installs a retrofit seal over the body of the fuse.
by retrofit seal do you mean a tape that goes round the edge of the seal box?

A plastic seal around the body of the fuse itself is what I've seen, with a strong plastic adhesive strip holding it onto the face of the cutout on the right-hand side, and onto the side of the cutout on the left - in the same way the paper seal is currently applied on your fuse, but much stronger. DNO in my area is Western Power

Sponsored Links
I suppose there's an outside chance the DNO might turn up and replace the entire cutout, but I doubt they'd do that unless there was significant damage.

Meter installer should report any damage, but they won't replace or repair anything.
If severely damaged or certain other problems the meter won't be replaced until the DNO repair/replace.

The seal is irrelevant, as the meter installer will have to remove the seal to isolate and will fit a new seal when they have finished.

The seal is irrelevant, as the meter installer will have to remove the seal to isolate and will fit a new seal when they have finished.
Usually - but in the OP's case it presumably would not be possible for him/her to "fit a new seal when they have finished"?

Kind Regards, John

I phoned my DNO and asked if someone would come to pull the main fuse so I could fit a new consumer unit. The lady on the phone asked if I was happy to pull it myself and I said I was. She then asked when I would do the work and said that one of their engineers would visit a day or so later and fit a new seal. I was surprised by this but it did make life easier as I could do the work whenever I wanted. (I was careful and do know the risks involved)
Three year later someone came to fit a new smart meter, he made no comment about the lack of a seal (the DNO had never turned up to reseal it).

Interesting that the same meter person almost refused to fit a smart gas meter as there was a leak, as the leak was just within the rules he fitted it and while removing the old gas meter commented that the incoming pipe was not tightly fastened to the meter. After fitting the new meter all as 100% with no leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back