no seals on meter or fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some help, please.

I've just moved into a place and am doing it up. It looks to have a new fusebox but there are no seals on the meter or fuses. I suppose the person who installed it (before I moved in) must have removed them.
What should I do???

Sponsored Links
You could waste hours on the phone trying to find someone who gives a dam or you could just get on with your life ;)

Nothing. And plead your innocence if anyone official mentions it. If the meter is accessible to young uns, phone the people who send your bill and explain the situation. They will probably understand there was a reason why seals were cut and nothing further will be said about it.

I just thought I might get accused of meter tampering. If not, I will forget it and just see what happens when a meter man next comes.
cheers!!

Just seen Crafty's reply - the meter is not within touching reach (at about head hight and in a cupboard)

Sponsored Links
Phone your supplier and let them know.

Then if a meter reader takes a disliking to you and reports it you can say you've informed your supplier and tried to get it fixed.

I will give them a call. If they want to come they can but I won't chase round the houses or departments for it. Sound fair?

Take the name of the person you speak to & date, time etc.

May not help, but won't do any harm.

I would be surprised if they didn't seal them up.

They are legally required to do so, under clause 24 (2) of the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002.

Indeed, talk to them and take name and details of person of phone. Then ask in writing for confirmation of your call. No one but the guys who can replace the seals should brake them without permission, but the suppliers usually don’t get too upset about a broken fuse seal. A missing meter seal has been known to upset them.

I will call them next week rather than wasting time with the weekend staff.
BUT:
My electric is supplied by NPower but the meter says 'Property of Southern Electric Board'. Who should I call about the missing seals??

veryunsure said:
I will call them next week rather than wasting time with the weekend staff.
BUT:
My electric is supplied by NPower but the meter says 'Property of Southern Electric Board'. Who should I call about the missing seals??

NPower

I wouldn't phone because it is not a local rate call and they give you the runaround to cost you more and pay their administration overheads.

Drop them a line and copy the letter to post up beside the meter.

from my experience they dont always give a damn! I recently had to call the DNO to replace incoming header. tthe bloke replaced it and left it without fitting any seals whatsoever, I chased him down the drive and asked what he was doing. his answer: Oh i have run out of seals, dont worry about it!!!

Paul Barker said:
I wouldn't phone because it is not a local rate call and they give you the runaround to cost you more and pay their administration overheads.

Drop them a line and copy the letter to post up beside the meter.
Good point. However, I've got their freephone number from www.saynoto0870.com and will call them at their expense!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back