Meter Tail Max Length?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be installing 25mm meter tails but was wondering if there was a max length.

Pete

Sponsored Links
What do you mean, "you" will be "installing" them? If you are installing them, you should know the maximum length. Anyway, its generally 3 metres. Any more and you need SWA and switchfuse etc. ;)

You should speak to your DNO and find out what their requirements for tails are, it varies between different ones

I'll be installing them - as a DIYer who is comfortable with electrics, well I play with them on the signalling side of the railway anyway. I have a retired electrical engineer as a reference point but he is away at present.

The main reason I asked was that screwfix.co.uk sell them in 5m lengths and others are whatever length you want or a reel.

I am following the regs and have a bloke / company ready for inspections as and when required. :)

DNO???

Thanks for your replies.

Sponsored Links
DNO Distribution Network Operator - The 'lectric company. Not nessecarily the people you pay your bills to ;)

If you're running them across a room, I would expect large earthed metal trunking. If you're running them through walls, 25 or 35mm² SWA would be more appropriate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back