METER TAILS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,my first try at this,I have read about how to install a new electric shower,can you tell me when I get to the point where I connect the exixting consumer box and a new one for the shower using a Henly block,am I allowed to remove the wire loops that seal the meter in order to remove the fuse and relocate the tails,thanks.

Sponsored Links
Also please note that installing an electric shower is notifiable to your LABC under Part P of the building regs.

STOP.. don't continue since you are obviously not qualified to do this safely..

you need to have notified the local area building control that you are installing an new consumer unit and a new shower.. both of which are notifiable jobs under Part P of the building regulations..

cutting the seals on the meter or main fuse is criminal damage and you will be liable to prosecution for doing so..

if you absloutely insist on doing this yourself then after notifying the LABC you need to contact your supplier and tell them you want an isolator fitting to your supply..

you can then use this to turn off the mains and connect your tails..

Sponsored Links
just wondered if I got an electrician who is allowed to certify the work he does,will I still need to get an isolator or can he break the seals.

Electricians shouldn't break the seals either - although some do it anyway. As you are going to end up with 2 consumer units, having an isolator fitted is a good idea anyway.

he can't break the seal any more than you can...

however, he will probably contact the supplier and arrange for them to come and do ti so he can do his work and to come back later that day to re-connect and seal them..

it's generally easier for the supplier to fit an isolator as this takes less time tha 2 visits and saves them the cost of fuel, so they may well do this anyway..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back