Meter to be changed...options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I've had a letter from Eon saying they have to replace my meter because it's past it's life span.

My question is, should I ask if the can put an isolator in so I can get work done on the consumer unit? (will need it changed when storage heaters come out and central heating goes in next year.)

Also I think I have a TT system, do you think they will change this to a PME and will this cost me anything? They aren't charging for changing the meter.

I have posted some pics because I know you luuurve them lol.

Also the RCCB for the wylex E7 board doesn't trip when you press test, plan to get this changed before we start using storage heaters again.

Thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
I can't give any advice on the earth, although I believe (as I also have a TT earth) that TT systems usually use a small earth cable to the gas and water pipes, as the main earth protection is via an RCD. I believe that if you went PME you should really uprate those cables to 10mm. With regards to the Isolator, when I had my meter changed for the same reasons they said that they only put in isolators when the supply was overhead. Mine was done by Scottish and Southern though.

The meter fitter will not be able to convert your supply to PME, it would have to be a separate job carried out by different workers. Whether or not they would consider doing this for free, who knows, you'd have to get in touch with the DNO via your supplier and see what they say.

As for the isolator, perhaps if you provide ample coffee and biscuits then the meter fitter might be able to help you out. The alternative is to have an electrician in to fit you a DP isolator, with good timing and a little work in advance the work could all be carried out at the same time without another visit from the DNO to pull the service fuse.

I can't give any advice on the earth, although I believe (as I also have a TT earth) that TT systems usually use a small earth cable to the gas and water pipes, as the main earth protection is via an RCD.
NO! NO! NO!
The earth is derived from a EARTH ROD. ALWAYS. Water mains and metallic services were disallowed from being used as an earth some 40 or so years ago! 14/15th edition?

Water and gas and metallic services may still be bonded to provide mains equipotential bonding, however this is a different function to providing earth to your electrical supply.

Think about your using the water main for an earth . . . and you have a plastic pipe . . . Now you see why its banned.

Sponsored Links
The RCD will not trip during the day. There is no power to it!!!! ;)
Test it at midnight tonight and let us know

With regards to the Isolator, when I had my meter changed for the same reasons they said that they only put in isolators when the supply was overhead.
Or if you were wearing brown shoes when you asked?

That would make just as much sense.

For the record, using the water pipe as a source of earth connection was disallowed from the 14th Ed., 1966.

AFAIK, it has never been allowed to use a gas pipe for such a purpose.

AFAIK, it has never been allowed to use a gas pipe for such a purpose.

The irony is that for many TT installations, the main bonded gas and water act as better earth electrodes than the actual earth electrode.

that's true.

my old mum's house is TNS with iron gas and water pipes in damp soil

the EFLI improved when I main-bonded them

Yep, but you should not rely on a path via a public water pipe for protection as the water pipe may be changed to plastic at anytime.

I wonder how many water companies continue to consider the run from the 'mains' to the house as public...especially when they've installed a stop cock and meter at the top of the drive?

I always thought that the demarcation point for water supplies was the outside stopcock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back