Mice in the utility shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shed that's the tool storage area and washing, drying and freezer machine area also. I got mice. Got rid of 4 or 5 with traps. Some bait was taken. They may have damaged the washing machine so I need to get replace that and disenfect all tools and other 2 machines.

My question is do I take everything thing out Tomo and Saturday when I have two days off which is rare for me or do I wait a couple of more weeks to see if I have activity with my little mice friends and continue to hand wash till then? I was hoping to get a new washing machine delivered Sunday but I dont obviously want that out there if I still have them. It's a brick built shed and I'll be making the gaps disappear as much as possible but I know then they get through a gap about 5 mill apparently

Sponsored Links
My shed that's the tool storage area and washing, drying and freezer machine area also. I got mice. Got rid of 4 or 5 with traps. Some bait was taken. They may have damaged the washing machine so I need to get replace that and disenfect all tools and other 2 machines.

My question is do I take everything thing out Tomo and Saturday when I have two days off which is rare for me or do I wait a couple of more weeks to see if I have activity with my little mice friends and continue to hand wash till then? I was hoping to get a new washing machine delivered Sunday but I dont obviously want that out there if I still have them. It's a brick built shed and I'll be making the gaps disappear as much as possible but I know then they get through a gap about 5 mill apparently
Fill any gaps with wire wool.

And keep up with the traps. Make sure any food in there is sealed in airtight containers, remove any newspapers/cardboard etc that they can use for nest building. You could plug in a sonic deterrent but I've never really had much success with them. Once the warmer weather comes in they will look somewhere else to live and feed.
Pull out all appliances and check underneath/behind for any signs of nesting. If it is a stone/concrete floor give it a good swill and scrub with a hard bristle yard brush using a strong solution of bleachy water. This will kill any germs they have left and also destroy any odours of previous residents/visitors.
If you live in the countryside or a rural area this will probably be a yearly occurrence that needs to be repeated annually.

the mice might be attracted by the warm, dry conditions given by waste heat from the freezer.

You don't have sacks or boxes of animal feed in there?

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys gonna disinfect all items and tools. Give freezer and tumble a good look over and clean. Will be buying bleach and disinfect like people have been buying bog rolls lol.

Would I need to get rid of the fibreboard that's on the shelves rack or disinfect and leave to dry?

Just wipe it over with disinfectant. I am guessing that you're not storing anything that has to be 100% germ free?

mice don't wee properly, they have a constant slight dribble. This means they leave a trail which they and others can smell and follow. You have to wash it away to stop them coming back. Strong household detergent (like Flash) will do it. You can use a watering can, mixed with hot water. Disinfectants have a different job.

Clean around doorways and other points of entry, inside and out, and leave numerous small baits. Refill them daily until they stay full.

If they're field mice they will go of the own accord when it gets warm .........

Humane mouse traps baited with peanut butter and then let them go in nearby fields .........I don't think they carry that disease rats do I would worry too much about it.

Rats are a different story.

Leptospirosis, (Weils disease), is carried by mice and other rodents.
People with pet mice have been known to contract it by coming into contact with the animals urine.
Not a nice disease to catch. Ask a few plumbers or electricians.

Leptospirosis, (Weils disease), is carried by mice and other rodents.
People with pet mice have been known to contract it by coming into contact with the animals urine.
Not a nice disease to catch. Ask a few plumbers or electricians.
Yep, and in pubs/clubs they may have rodents walking over crates of bottles, weeing as they go, and it is so trendy (or uncouth really) to drink out of a bottle, God knows what people could catch.

Which is why I never drink out of a bottle or can, Admit I used to when younger, (late teens/early 20's), but one day at college we were shown a film about pulling cables through underground channels and they highlighted, using ultra violet light or something, where rodent runs were because of the urine tracks. This then led to a discussion about Leptospirosis and how it could be caught. Not a nice disease to catch.

Sponsored Links
Back