Mice Smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a horrible smell coming from under our floorboards which is much worse on hot days. It smell kind of like urine. It does not seem musty (ie does not smell like a towel that has been left wet for 3 weeks in a cold place) hence don't think that it can be dry rot.

I am assuming that it is mice. I have left traps but have caught nothing. There are also no droppings. The previous owner has told me there was a mice problem two years ago but they killed it with some poison. However, I fear that the mouse had already sprayed its urine underneath the floor boards and on the underside of the stairs ( we have a cupboard that is under the stairs and it smells too.

Can anybody recommend a way of getting rid of the smell under the floorboards without having to take them up?

Sponsored Links
could be a dead one! Our cats have a happy habit of bringing them in as presents. We had one a few years ago that managed to get under the hall carpet by the airing cupboard door, must have been just before it died. We had a similar smell that went on for about 2 weeks and i was buggered if i could find it. 6 months later when i lifted the carpet to lay new floor there was a mouse as flat as a pancake alla cartoon style. Every time we had opened the door we had squished it a bit more!

A dead animal will only smell for a short while and then it will have rotted away, i think you ought to lift the floorboards as it could be a burst sewer pipe, -------rot in your floor boards and joists-------- or the good news for you----your previous owner could have been a serial killer and now you know where he may have stashed the bodies, if the later is the case, just think of the money you will make from television and news papers.

Sponsored Links
and youll get the house redecorated after the p[olice have dug everything up....result!

Freddie said:
A dead animal will only smell for a short while and then it will have rotted away, i think you ought to lift the floorboards as it could be a burst sewer pipe, -------rot in your floor boards and joists-------- or the good news for you----your previous owner could have been a serial killer and now you know where he may have stashed the bodies, if the later is the case, just think of the money you will make from television and news papers.
You're surely not that Freddie writing from beyond the grave are you ?

Smell is kind of urine like though could this be rot? Can anybody describe what a rot smell would be like? I assumed kind of like a damp towel that has been left in a cold place for too long.

keenbutconfused said:
Smell is kind of urine like though could this be rot? Can anybody describe what a rot smell would be like? I assumed kind of like a damp towel that has been left in a cold place for too long.
No normally a musky smell, not a dead fox nearby?

Just rip the bloody boards up thats the only way you will know and i am dying to know now-----Did Fred West own your house at any time ??????

Freddie said:
Just rip the b****y boards up thats the only way you will know and i am dying to know now-----Did Fred West own your house at any time ??????
Bad taste Freddie considering all those poor children he murdered. :eek:

kendor said:
Freddie said:
Just rip the b****y boards up thats the only way you will know and i am dying to know now-----Did Fred West own your house at any time ??????

Grow up Kendor if you are going to have a pop at some one pick on something i meant to do wrong than that.

Freddie said:
kendor said:
Freddie said:

Grow up Kendor if you are going to have a pop at some one pick on something i meant to do wrong than that.
not sure what that means but am commenting that your previous comment WAS in bad taste a lot of parents would agree.

Sponsored Links
Back