Mice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a property which has got mice in the loft this winter. I have check to see if there is any small opening or air ducts where they could get in but all looks good. Only one place that I can see is on my soffits they have the ventilation strip on.This is on the further point from the wall not the inner. Could they be getting in from here meaning they would have to run up wall and jump 8 inches across soffit ?

Sponsored Links
Have you got an open cavity wall at the loft/ They can get up there, a solution other than filling cavity, is small holed mesh across the top of the cavity.

Have you got an open cavity wall at the loft/ They can get up there, a solution other than filling cavity, is small holed mesh across the top of the cavity.

Is that where plasterboard has been boarded and there is a gap so they can get out at loft ?

I was thinking more of the gap between the internal and external brick, block, stone work etc..
If you go in to the loft, this normally left open and rodents can find there way in using that as access.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking more of the gap between the internal and external brick, block, stone work etc..
If you go in to the loft, this normally left open and rodents can find there way in using that as access.

Right ok thanks. I am going property at 9am so I will check. If there is will the plastic mesh be ok to block it off ?

Do check for drain exits, damaged air bricks, electric / phone / water entrances and the like......another popular route is where the slates meet the gable end, if there is any mortar missing.
John :)

Do check for drain exits, damaged air bricks, electric / phone / water entrances and the like......another popular route is where the slates meet the gable end, if there is any mortar missing.

Also look for signs of very small parachutes or abseiling equipment.

Cheers
Richard

I have a property which has got mice in the loft this winter.

Is it mice or rats?
Most people don't mind amitting to mice in the roof, but rats?... :LOL:

The little b******s can get in anywhere and everywhere.
Once you find out where they go, put poison down - preferably in traps - but don't set the trap initially - get their confidence.

You will either catch one, or one will die through the poison. If the latter, they often die in the cavity or floor, and you will know by the sickly smell, but that goes after a few days.

It's vital to get them out of the roof because they gnaw at wiring and are responsible for many roof fires. Where I live, local authority houses always had roof wiring in steel conduit to avoid this problem.

mice can also squeeze through tiny holes, seemingly much smaller than the mouse. so you might be looking for something the size of about a 20p iirc...

I went to property today and checked the loft for a open cavity but there seems to be a piece of wood screwed over the brick and breeze block to close it if I am guessing right. Is this how they do it ?

Would they be able to get through the ventilation strip on the soffit even though it is not by the house wall. i.e further point underneath gutter ?

There was little air gaps in between some bricks, presumably for ventilation. Can they get in threw here ?

Also look for signs of very small parachutes or abseiling equipment.

Cheers
Richard

You never know........they could be hamsters. ;)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back