Microaggressions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Microaggressions are often unintended discrimination against minorities. It doesn't need to be ethnic minorities. They are all the small actions that the actors may not realise is a 'microaggression'. It can vary from a cruel joke, to an old word that is now considered offensive, such as using words as insults against anyone, but using words that were once used as insults against the minorities. When the use of such old out-of-date insults are used and overheard, or seen, when in print, by the minorities that have suffered such insults in their everyday life. and throughout their life, they conjure up all the old emotions of discrimination and inequality.
microaggressions
a statement, action, or incident regarded as an instance of indirect, subtle, or unintentional discrimination against members of a marginalized group such as a racial or ethnic minority.
Thus the message of avoiding microaggressions needs to go out to wider society, not just those who are determined to be aggressive to minorities.
Those who are intent on openly discriminating or being hateful, will continue to do so.
It is those who do not realise that their words and actions are micro-aggressive, that need education.

Sponsored Links
It isn't just ethnic minorities that are protected. There is a list of protected characteristics.
If anyone feels the need to inform themselves of what characteristics are protected, so perhaps they can be unrestricted in being offensive to other, unprotected characters, I would suggest there is something wrong with their moral compass.

Last edited:
its about time the specky ginga kids got a bit of protection

One of my bestest mates & bike riding/drinking buddies is mixed race afro caribbean.

He don't get much "in the face" racism 'cos he's the size of a bull elephant, but when you're out n about with him it's absolutely amazing to see the micro aggressions he suffers on a daily basis.

Sponsored Links
Microaggression are not just verbal or written. They can be unconscious actions
A behavioral microaggression occurs when someone behaves in a way that is hurtful or discriminatory to a certain group of people. An example of a behavioral microaggression would be a bartender ignoring a transgender person and instead serving a cisgender person (someone whose biological sex matches their gender identity) first.
Microinvalidations: A microinvalidation is when a person’s comment invalidates or undermines the experiences of a certain group of people. An example of a microinvalidation would be a white person telling a black person that “racism does not exist in today’s society.”

Microinsults: A microinsult is a comment or action that is unintentionally discriminatory. For example, this could be a person saying to an Indian doctor, “Your people must be so proud.”
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/microagressions#types
Or even
Jim Davidson, 65, denies he was being racist when he told South African train conductor 'welcome to our country'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ck-train-conductor-wasnt-welcome-country.html

The term microaggressions has existed for the last 50 years. It was first used in the field of psychology.
It is only in the last 20 years or so that it is used in education in pursuit of equality.
It isn't a new term coined by the left. Whatever the left is supposed to mean. Microaggression, discrimination, etc is not the preserve of either political ideology. Those from the left and the right of politics can be bigoted or opposed to bigotry.

I think there is a fine line. If you took away the person's "difference" and repeated it to a person who was not "different" without causing offence, then the so called micro aggression is Wokeism. Its the intent that should be focused on. Would a trans person rather they weren't spoken to for fear of causing offence, or would they rather the odd accidental him/he. It should be ok to say a person presents well or speaks well without risking offending a minority. Its not just majorities, the other day a gay colleague commented on how attractive I was looking. That's no more acceptable than me doing it to a female colleague. Its a no go area, but should it be? Is there really any harm? I wasn't offended.

I think there is a fine line. If you took away the person's "difference" and repeated it to a person who was not "different" without causing offence, then the so called micro aggression is Wokeism.
You automatically associate awareness of inequality with wokeism. That's your first mistake.
You should associate awareness of inequality with wokeness.
Wokeness, in my view, is a good thing, ..... Awareness of unfairness in the treatment of others not only makes the world a better place and us better people, it creates a culture in which the marginalized receive empathy instead of blame.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/feeling-our-way/202108/the-psychology-wokeism
Wokeism has been epitomised as intolerance, intolerance of policing the speech of others, by those intolerant people who want to retain their right to be offensive.
Think of wokeness as an awareness of inequality, empathy, and historical humiliations.

Its the intent that should be focused on.
Many microaggressions are unconscious behaviour borne out of historical treatment of marginalised minorities.
Sometimes these microaggression can be intended as compliments, but that compliment is built on discrimination and prejudice.
upload_2022-1-16_16-25-32.png

upload_2022-1-16_16-28-46.png

https://itooamharvard.tumblr.com/

Would a trans person rather they weren't spoken to for fear of causing offence, or would they rather the odd accidental him/he.
I suspect the trans person would rather people treat them as a person, not as a trans person, with due regard to their preferred pronoun.

It should be ok to say a person presents well or speaks well without risking offending a minority.
upload_2022-1-16_16-33-50.png

https://itooamharvard.tumblr.com/page/4
Why do you think a person's ethnicity should define whether they are smart or not, or whether it should impact on their accent'/turnout, etc?

Its not just majorities, the other day a gay colleague commented on how attractive I was looking. That's no more acceptable than me doing it to a female colleague. Its a no go area, but should it be? Is there really any harm?
Why should you be offended?
Was it because you have this unconscious bias of gay men being incapable of a monogamous relationship?

This is a micropointless thread.

I suppose I'd better not mention brown sauce in my breakfast thread lest I upset someone.

Why should you be offended?
Was it because you have this unconscious bias of gay men being incapable of a monogamous relationship?

So its ok, for a man to tell a female work colleague that they look very attractive today? Good luck keeping your job if you do that a few times.

This is a micropointless thread.
There's no obligation to participate of you don't want to.

I suppose I'd better not mention brown sauce in my breakfast thread lest I upset someone.
A typical microaggression. You are unable to think of something brown without associating it with an ethnicity.

[QUOTE="AngleEyes, post: 5143661, member: 292032] A typical microaggression. You are unable to think of something brown without associating it with an ethnicity.[/QUOTE]
Brown sauce? It's obviously upset you so I'd say you are one of the professionally offended who looks for offence when there is none.

So its ok, for a man to tell a female work colleague that they look very attractive today? Good luck keeping your job if you do that a few times.
If you go round telling so many people how attractive they look, it demeans the compliment.

Notice how your comparison had gone from "how attractive" to "very attractive"
commented on how attractive I was looking.
It's almost like you were clinging to frail links.

Sponsored Links
Back