Microbore pipe questions!....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Microbore heating - is it always 2 pipes in at 1 side of radiator? If so, can it be removed to flush the rad easily? Or can the rad valves be replaced as per notmal rad valves? Reason I ask is I am moving house in March and apparantly they have microbore heating there and I know it can be unreliable! And I have never experienced it before so want to know as much about it as I can before I go!!!!!

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have twin entry rad valves.You cannot powerflush your system with these valves fitted,although you can remove each rad and clean them individually.Best advice is to fit standard rad valves and extend pipework to suit.I find it better to adapt up to 15mm for the pipe extensions.Others would say just extend in whats there, either 8 or 10mm.

Thanks for your help

Are microbore rad valves TRvs or just manual valves? If so can you buy standard replacements?

When you say to put standard rad valves and extend pipework do you mean fit new rad valves with 15mm pipe and reduce to 10 for eg somewhere under floor?

Thanks for your help

Are microbore rad valves TRvs or just manual valves? If so can you buy standard replacements?

When you say to put standard rad valves and extend pipework do you mean fit new rad valves with 15mm pipe and reduce to 10 for eg somewhere under floor?

The twin entry valves you have won't be TRVs, and aren't available new as TRVs either. In fact twin entries are obsolete completely. You can get TRVs to fit 8/10mm microbore, and you will need to fit a 8/10mm lockshield valve to the other end of the rad by removing blanking plug.

You could put standard 15mm TRVs and lockshields on, then take a short piece of 15mm pipe down through the floor. Then join the 15mm to the microbore under the floor. Looks much neater.

Sponsored Links
Chances are the house has a one pipe system. I'd start budgeting for a complete heating refit.

Chances are the house has a one pipe system. I'd start budgeting for a complete heating refit.

Two chances its one pipe?

I have never seen a microbore one pipe system.

In fact a one pipe needs more than 15mm pipe and and boiler with only a 11 C differential to work well.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back