Microwave - bulb gone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I got a Frigidaire FCL600/99TC microwave (oven) & the inside light has stopped working. I thought there must be a bulb compartment inside the oven part but there isn't. :(

How can I replace the bulb please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My microwave bulb went and it was really hard to reach and after I did it had only come loose in the holder. But once reassembled it needs re-testing with wave meter to ensure no leaks it would seem this is not really a user replaceable part.

The device for checking microwaves I had kept failing microwaves then on re-test would pass them. After some head scratching I realised it was not the microwave causing the fail but my mobile phone polling.

This raises two questions
1) Is the meter too sensitive?
2) Is the mobile phone safe?

I note my new fridge uses LED lights now, and there is a warning these are not user replaceable one wonders why microwaves still use tungsten? May be the RF in the microwave would damage the bulb?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ehow.com%2Fhow_5636554_change-lamp-frigidaire-microwave.html

Hi,

Thanks, that guide on google says something about remove screws from the hood louver panel over the oven door. One screw is in the center top down into the panel and the two other screws are on each end of the front panel.

But where are these screws located please - I can't see them?

microwave_Panorama1_zpsbc659ac1.jpg

Sponsored Links
1) Is the meter too sensitive?
2) Is the mobile phone safe?

The answers are, in order, no, and yes.

Oddly enough, if you're checking for leaked radiation in the 2.4GHz band, you shouldn't have a 2.4GHz intentional radiator around.

When I microwave gets to this age, I think its just a case of you not bothering to replace the bulb, and get a new microwave at some point in the future.

When I microwave gets to this age, I think its just a case of you not bothering to replace the bulb, and get a new microwave at some point in the future.
Even with the 'throwaway' culture which surrounds us, it would seem a bit excessive to have to replace a microwave (assuming it still works satisfactorily) just because a bulb/lamp had failed!

Kind Regards, John

Even with the 'throwaway' culture which surrounds us, it would seem a bit excessive to have to replace a microwave (assuming it still works satisfactorily) just because a bulb/lamp had failed!

Kind Regards, John

Couldn't agree more - this microwave has had careful usage and never been a let down once. It also has second-by-second control which some of the more modern microwaves lack, opting for generic timings for types of food, seems crazy to me :eek:

Yes - chucking something away because a bulb has gone is a terrible idea.

But if for other reasons you do need a new one, I can recommend this:

The timer granularity is 10s, which is fine in reality. Not so fine is that it won't let you set longer than 99m90s on the timer, which is often not enough when using the fan oven, but other than that I've got no complaints.

The timer granularity is 10s, which is fine in reality. Not so fine is that it won't let you set longer than 99m90s on the timer, which is often not enough when using the fan oven, but other than that I've got no complaints.

They would have had to pay for another display to be made instead of reusing stock they've had clanging around for 15 years.

But if for other reasons you do need a new one, I can recommend this:
Looks like a case of 'snap'. We've had ours for a good few years, it having replaced a very similar one that did very many years of good service prior to that, and, like you I could certainly recommend it. One of the reasons we chose it was that, at least at the time, it seemed to have a larger cavity than most of the available alternatives. (apologies for all the reflections - it's not actually anything like as dirty as it looks {without flash, it looked even worse!}).

Kind Regards, John

It's probably a switching supply giving it that size cavity. There's no room for a typical transformer in that.

Thanks: will probably cart it round a high street electrical shop - if such shops exist much longer - & ask them to replace the bulb - or it's to a charity shop. I am not tampering with & taking the whole back off a microwave just to replace a bulb :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back