Migrants Immigrants and Asylum seekers.

I agree with that, but of course the part in brackets does become relevant if the person in question is still being sought.

Does it become useful in a news report though?

"A white man is being sought"

There's a white man! It could be him! He matches the description! He's a man, and he's white!

or

"White men are criminals. There were dozens of them mentioned on the news"
Well,

Whichever way you look at it, if they are still seeking the perpetrator, then mentioning the colour / ethnicity still narrows it down - even if it's 50/50?
So, perhaps it remains relevant.

Sponsored Links
What, with absolutely no identifying description? Is that any use?

What will you do - arrest 26 million people "on suspicion?"

Don't be silly.

If you said the perpetrator had a beard would that not narrow it down -

or, more to the point, saying the perpetrator was clean-shaven - bearing in mind that any man who is clean-shaven could have had a beard yesterday but not vice-versa.

I agree with that, but of course the part in brackets does become relevant if the person in question is still being sought.

Does it become useful in a news report though?

"A white man is being sought"

There's a white man! It could be him! He matches the description! He's a man, and he's white!

or

"White men are criminals. There were dozens of them mentioned on the news"
Well,

Whichever way you look at it, if they are still seeking the perpetrator, then mentioning the colour / ethnicity still narrows it down - even if it's 50/50?
So, perhaps it remains relevant.

Stops people ringing the police with info about their neighbor if the perp is listed as being a different color.

Sponsored Links

If the authorities are still trying to find the perpetrator, surely ANY info such as colour, accent, ethnicity becomes relevant to narrow it down?

Not sure where you are coming from sometimes JD, do you intentionally try to press peoples red buttons to gain a reaction?

Don't be silly.

If you said the perpetrator had a beard would that not narrow it down -

or, more to the point, saying the perpetrator was clean-shaven - bearing in mind that any man who is clean-shaven could have had a beard yesterday but not vice-versa.
I had to think about that one for a second...

Newsnight last night had a big item about immigrants and sex crime. The presenter was really pressing the two ethnic stylie guests that these things are hushed up, that its bad they are hushed up and massive cultural differences are to blame. They all agreed. I guess it's so obvious now that the even the beeb are having to confront it. It was evident that those taking part in the program felt that people denying that there is a problem really aren't helping matters.

Sponsored Links
Back