Mild Steel unions using hemp and Hawkwhite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I only recently qualified as a plumber, and I've not done any work on mild steel pipe, using a die to cut threads since my college days.

If I remember corectly, the method you use when making am joint is to,

1/ Cut your pipe, and use a die to cut a male thread into each end.

2/ Clean oil etc from the ends and apply Hawk White

3/ Wrap hemp in the direction of the thread (So in won't unwind while doing up the union?

4/ Maybe put on more hawkwhite??????

5/ Use a pair of steelsons to tighten up the coupling on the pipe.

Now please correct me if I've said anything wrong, I know you are not taught to use PTFE or the like. Only I've been putting hawkwhite on in spades, and I will be wet testing the installation tommorow and I'm sure its going to be a sprinkler system not a nice dry run of pipe. cheers fella's,

Danny :oops:

Sponsored Links
I know I'm replying to my own post...which is V sad...but pls help if you can, I wouold rather sort it before I have to drain down etc!

No, you def dont weld this pipe. Its only 1/2 inch. Its just done with the threaded seal. The idea is the hemp swells up to make the seal, like a fibre washer.

I know I'm close, because I'd remember welding it at college and I dont! I just need afirmation.

Its the pipe that is used on sprinkler systems and the like.

Thanks though!

Sponsored Links
2and3 are transposed..........you put the hemp on ,then the jointing compound :p Pre-pubescent forum only ;)you should go back to school and scrutinise yourself

That wasn't too painful was it, oh and if I wanted to have my spelling scrutinised I'd go back to school. Cheers, chum....p.

Danny, wilhelm was a gifted child, he doesn't mean anything by anything he says, he just says it. Ignore what he says and give him a cheery wave if you see him out with his carer.

Nige F is generally a helpful chap, though lately his Alzheimer symptoms show a little.

I see. Christ, that was more painfull than just going in tommorw and filling the bast up.

I think I`m following Corrie too closely, I`m scrutinising Mike Baldwin`s Dementia and decline :oops:It`s his larst episod tomrow :cry:O level English Sonny, before you were born ...am retired now like Mike........out on the Glof course tomorrow

I'm suprised you have time for TV soaps inbetween your job as a plumber and English teacher :eek:

You are as mad a hatter mate. Still wish I was on the golf course tommorow. Cheers for the help.

Presumably you know when to use tapered threads and when to use parallel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back