Min Height Of Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was asked to give some advice today by a neighbour who wanted to install an Extractor fan in a new ensuite bathroom (which used to be a small office).

The room is going to have a bath but no shower, a toilet and a sink.

There is no void over the ceiling as it is an extension built into the roof and there is no soffit, so putting a fan in the ceiling is out of the question.

There is no window - they have a skylight in the roof.

There is an outside wall but the problem is that, because of the slope of the roof, the height of the outside wall is only 5 foot.

The distance between the edge of the bath and the proposed site of the fan is about 1.5m.

As far as I can tell, putting the fan at such a low level will be within the regs but would it not be defeating the objective having it so low as most of the heat/moisture etc would rise to the ceiling.

The neighbour did mention that she knew a roofer and enquired if it would it be possible for him to put a vent in the roof and join a fan to that in the ceiling.

Or should they invest in a de-humidifier?

Sponsored Links
From an electrical regs point of view, the location of the fan will depend on the type and the zone it is installed in.
I cant imagine the room from your description. The on site guide is pretty specific wrt water effect etc.

As for anything else, its a matter of building practicalities. I find the flat 100mm conduit is very useful in this sort of installation as it will slip between the rafters, you are stuffed if the void is filled with Celotex etc.

Sponsored Links
hi ok you can get a roof vent the last one i done cut in the fan removed
the slate fitted flex duct from the fan and fitted roof vent
got mine from a company called hextons in london dont know if they have a web site but there must be a roofing company up your way will do them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back