Mini one problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello unfortunately not great with cars, just purchased a Mini one from a private sale (seemed very honest) but i am obviously to trusting.
The very next day found the following (could smell a brief hot smell on way home) but next day
Found air conditioning was not cool although the compressor cuts in (guessed re gas required)
Unfortunately also found a seemingly small oil leak from looks to be rocker cover and that the oil seemed to get hot really quick. Have since noticed the engine fan does not start when the engine does also does not seem to come on at all. This I take it means the only thing cooling it will be the natural air flow (not sure if this is normal for Mini or does it eventually come on). I had to drive it a long way home, did take it very easy with some stops but very surprised it actually made it back.

Can anyone confirm if i am correct and fan should start running either immediately or after a short while with engine running or being driven, if not when ?
Unsure about over heating as no temp gauge on a mini one and no warning lights appeared at all.
Mini one 2007 66k on clock, recent MOT . Timing belt/ chain changed also in last 4 months also the last service in Feb this year.

Thoughts from you knowledgeable people appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't know much about the Mini, well not the modern ones anyway, but in general the cooling fan/s don't come on until they are needed except in the case of the aircon being switched on. I expect the aircon needs regassing, they usually do every couple of years or so.

Even if the cooling fan doesn't work, providing you are not spending a long time in slow traffic, the airflow when moving is usually enough to cool cool the engine, especially at high speed. I would think it must have some overheating indication, probably a warning light.

Cars are that complicated now that any secondhand purchase is bound to need some attention and a leaking rocker cover gasket shouldn't be to difficult to fix. Doesn't sound as though you have any serious problems.

Peter

As above - the likes of Kwik Fit will be happy to regas and check the A/C system for you.
As with any unknown vehicle, religiously check the oil and coolant levels regularly until you know they are stable.
John :)

Just keep an extra eye on the coolant level and where it usually sits, so you know if it changes/goes down. Keep oil to the maximum mark on the dip stick until you get the leak looked at.
Wouldn't stress to much at the above problems, as long as the engine isn't overheating/throwing coolant out. You probably saves a bundle buying private, you only really have teething trouble.
They are a smashing little car .................
Good independent mechanic will see you right.

Sponsored Links
The fan will cut in as soon as a set temperature is reached which may not occur unless you are sat in traffic for a while on a warm day.

Back