Mini RCBO's or whole new consumer unit?

oly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've completed building extension to our kitchen which included:

• extending the wiring of one 32A ring, adding about six dble sockets.
• reduced number of sockets (by about 2) and extended cabling slightly to re-complete another 32A ring.
• extended wiring of one 6A circuit by adding approx 8 downlighters.

My question is: should I add mini RCBO's to the relevant circuits (all or just the 32A's?) or have a new consumer unit fitted? Cost is a factor, but perhaps an up-to-date CU would be an advantage if we ever have to sell the house?

The exist consumer unit is a 10-way MK Sentry one, about 12 years old. It has no built-in RCD's though I do have a separate RCD-protected 32A garage unit.

Cheers for any advice!

Sponsored Links
If RCBOs will fit in the existing CU, then fit those.
Otherwise it's a new CU.

What is a 'mini RCBO' ?

• Thanks
Reactions: oly
Sponsored Links
That's my ignorance, I should have typed just RCBO : (

The people who write BS7671 are out of touch with the Real World! Everyone else calls them MCB's including the manufacturers themselves who stamp MCB at the front of them!

• reduced number of sockets (by about 2) and extended cabling slightly to re-complete another 32A ring.
Did it include getting Building Regulations approval?

My question is: should I add mini RCBO's to the relevant circuits (all or just the 32A's?) or have a new consumer unit fitted?
How can you have got to this stage without having already made that decision?

Who did the electrical design?

You say you have "completed" the extension - does that mean that you have put a non-compliant, and arguably illegal, electrical installation into use? Who carried out the necessary testing before and after energising?

Cost is a factor, but perhaps an up-to-date CU would be an advantage if we ever have to sell the house?
So would a valid EIC and a completion certificate from Building Control - do you have either of those?

The exist consumer unit is a 10-way MK Sentry one, about 12 years old. It has no built-in RCD's
Then you should not have added any new sockets, or any new concealed cables.

• Thanks

Did it include getting Building Regulations approval?

My question is: should I add mini RCBO's to the relevant circuits (all or just the 32A's?) or have a new consumer unit fitted?
How can you have got to this stage without having already made that decision?

Who did the electrical design?

You say you have "completed" the extension - does that mean that you have put a non-compliant, and arguably illegal, electrical installation into use? Who carried out the necessary testing before and after energising?

Cost is a factor, but perhaps an up-to-date CU would be an advantage if we ever have to sell the house?
So would a valid EIC and a completion certificate from Building Control - do you have either of those?

The exist consumer unit is a 10-way MK Sentry one, about 12 years old. It has no built-in RCD's
Then you should not have added any new sockets, or any new concealed cables.

Thank you for all replies...

The build work is being done with build regs approval and I will have a final testing done prior to EIC and completion certification.

The electrical design was done by myself after consultation with a qualified electrician who has inspected the new wiring along the way (and before it was covered up).

The electrician suggested either adding RCBO's to the individual circuit on exist consumer unit or replacing whole consumer unit, obviously a much more expensive option, hence my post here, to see if the consensus would be "Replace the whole unit" or otherwise.

The build work is being done with build regs approval and I will have a final testing done prior to EIC and completion certification.
And that is what Building Control are expecting? If you did not tell them that you were doing the design and construction, and getting someone to do some testing, you may find that they will refuse to issue a completion certificate.

And as I said - the work that you have done needed testing before you first applied power to it - did that happen?

The electrical design was done by myself after consultation with a qualified electrician who has inspected the new wiring along the way (and before it was covered up).
And is he going to certify that he did the design? You mentioned an EIC above - I can't see how you can get one of those.

The electrician suggested either adding RCBO's to the individual circuit on exist consumer unit or replacing whole consumer unit, obviously a much more expensive option, hence my post here, to see if the consensus would be "Replace the whole unit" or otherwise.
Shame he didn't point out that that should have been done much earlier in the process.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back