Miniature 3-pin 230V inline connector suggestions

Do you realise that, surprising though it may seem, many XLR inline plugs/sockets are rated at 16A 250V AC?
Interesting. All the XLRs by the usual manufacturers I've seen (Neutrik, Switchcraft, Deltron, Amphenol) are rated at 50V ac, although the rated current does vary from brand to brand. The old Canon, and later Neutrik, XLR LNE connectors are rated at 250V, and the remaining stock seems to be still sold by Canford Audio.
Farnell seem to currently major on Deltron and, having just had a quick look, they all seem to be described as 250V.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Typically, the tech specs on Deltron's website differ from the tech specs for the same product on Farnell's website! Yes, the tech sheet from Farnell says 250V (http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/60411.pdf) but the tech sheet from Deltron says 50V (http://www.dem-uk.com/deltron-components/Data/Product_Downloads/701-709-705-713iss6.pdf). Which one to trust? As every other manufacturer rates their XLRs at 50V, I'd say the info from Farnell is an aberration.
Ah - yes, that is confusing! In fact, they are both Deltron drawing sheets. The one from Farnell is dated 2003, but the one from DEM is not dated, but I presume more recent. The test voltage for the former is stated as 1500V, that for the latter being 1000V. I wonder if we're dealing with a typo (in one or the other) or whether there has been this dramatic reduction in 'rating' over time?

I guess one would have to ask them to be sure. The reality, of course, is that I imagine it would be pretty difficult to make an item like that which couldn't easily cope with 250V, but that does not, of course, mean that they will be tested/'rated' at such a voltage!

Kidn Regards, John

I wonder if we're dealing with a typo (in one or the other) or whether there has been this dramatic reduction in 'rating' over time?
I suspect that the 250V is the rated insulation voltage (used to determine the test voltage) and the 50V is the rated operating voltage, i.e. the voltage at which it is intended to be used.
As we've discussed previously, the word "rated" on its own is not helpful.

Sponsored Links
Furthermore, I just spotted that they state "(Note: these connectors are not suitable for mains applications)" on the Farnell data sheet.

I wonder if we're dealing with a typo (in one or the other) or whether there has been this dramatic reduction in 'rating' over time?
I suspect that the 250V is the rated insulation voltage (used to determine the test voltage) and the 50V is the rated operating voltage, i.e. the voltage at which it is intended to be used. As we've discussed previously, the word "rated" on its own is not helpful.
Who knows. FWIW, both the 250V and 50V figures are described (by the same company, for the seemingly same product) as 'rated voltage', and they lead to stated 'test voltages' of 1500V and 1000V respectively. If what you suspect is correct, they must have changed their policy regarding what they specify as the 'rated voltage' at some point subsequent to 2003. I'm still not convinced that there isn't just a typo at work here!

Kind Regards, John

Furthermore, I just spotted that they state "(Note: these connectors are not suitable for mains applications)" on the Farnell data sheet.
So they do - well spotted!! The interesting thing is that when they subsequently changed the 'rated voltage' from 250V to 50V, they also dropped that statement - maybe, I suppose, because they felt that no-one would imagine that something rated at at 50V would be suitable for 'mains applications'.

Kind Regards, John

The DEM datasheet has a create date of 2011 in the PDF document properties.
Possibly they respecified the rated insulation voltage so they could test at 1 000 V instead of 1 500 V and either forgot to tell Farnell or the latter took no notice.
However this doesn't matter since neither specification is "suitable for mains use".

Have a look at the PowerCon TRUE1. XLR sized and rated 16A@240V.
An extract from the standard to which they refer:
"The value of the test voltage is 4 000 V ± 60 V when applied between current-carrying parts and the body (items a) and c)) and 2 000 V ± 60 V in all other cases."

The sets I have used have all had a two wire section mid way along the set. Divide the set there and unless there is a CPC as well you could use a smaller 2 pin connector
Mine has 3 wires in the middle.

It's actually made up of 4 40x6v lamp sets in parallel.

No cpc.

But I agree - trying to draw it out it doesn't make sense that there would be any more than 2 wires in the sections between lamp #40 & #41, #80 & 81 etc.

I need to get them down before xmas as I want to check if some spare lamps I bought are the right type, so I'll have another look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back