Minimum loft cistern size with no bath to fill.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, is there a minimum size loft cistern for supplying the hot water cylinder? We don’t have a bath now, just an instant shower so only use hot water for a few dishes, hand washing & similar small jobs. Do the regs specify a minimum cistern size please? Ta muchly.

Sponsored Links
Minimum 10% of system volume iirc (to allow for expansion). You might want to go a bit bigger than that to avoid the risk of getting air in (not a disaster but definitely an irritant, gravity airlocks can be tricky to clear
If your existing tank is ok & you don't need the space for anything else, leave it be- one less job to do when the bath goes back in :)

Thanks, we have no plans to refit a bath and I want to make more space by removing the existing tank so for the new tank size I should allow for 10% more volume than the hot water cylinder?

Thanks, we have no plans to refit a bath and I want to make more space by removing the existing tank so for the new tank size I should allow for 10% more volume than the hot water cylinder?
Yes, if your cylinder is 150 litres then absolute minimum 15, prudently 25. I'd suggest doing an experiment- reduce the volume of your existing tank by dropping the ball valve level and putting some buckets or bricks or whatever you have to hand to drop the effective volume, run with it for a week & see if you hit any problems (some kitchen sinks are deceptively large)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Rob & oldbutnotdead for your input. On consideration I've decided not to change the tank. The current one is fine if a little large but if any future buyers want a bath it's already there rather than them having to switch from my smaller one. Also it's making more work grovelling around on my creaky knees and will save a good bit of money not buying one! The cheapest way to make more space in the loft is to clear out all the crap!! Btw Rob, I can't find the 'thanks' button but THANKS!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back