Minor work - MAJOR problem?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all

Can anyone tell me where the heck I can get blocks that look like these!!

I have to fill up an old back door where I have moved the access point. Matching Brick Companies have said they cant help as they only deal in "Bricks". These are quite big and heavy concrete aggregate blocks. They have some sort of finer aggregate mix on the external face, which gives the wall a sort of cotswold stone effect. Its very strong though and doesnt come off easily at all - appears to have actually been done at the same time the blocks were made, as opposed to a later render / addition.

All help appreciated, as I have to get the door blocked up asap.

b7b9re2.jpg

776ere2.jpg

Sponsored Links
I can see two - very clearly - I posted them as image files?

How bizarre. Mind you it's probably my fault somewhere along the line - not being very Computer Techy.

Can no one else see them then?

you must be seeing things i cant see anything either!

Sponsored Links
yuck! They are a pre cast block which come faced like it, as you say its not a render. Im sure they still make them but why any one would want them god knows! Try a few builders merchants. I seem to spend a lot of time smashing the wretched things up in gardens, although they are usually red in colour. cant think of the name of them but someone will know on here

Thermo

Thanks for the info.

I know they are pretty yuck - but the whole house is covered in them, so I have to make do. (In context they dont look as horrendous as the snap shots and since I sandblasted and repointed the walls they look about as good as they could ever do) -but I agree, not really very nice.

The house was once, you may not be surprised to learn, an ex local authority house.

Are they, perhaps, Marshallite blocks? Agree with previous poster - try around the merchants.

Scrit

I spoke to someone a year or so ago that tried to get blocks like that but could not trace them, IIRC the original house was 1930's so quite a while ago.

In their case it was an extension being built so they put on a smooth cement render and put in fake coursing lines, when painted it looked OK.

If you need them to match, I would imagine a local pre-cast company could make a mould and cast some blocks for you - at a price!

I should add that my house was built in 1927 so concur with the post a couple above mine about the house built in the 1930's.

Thanks for the tips. It was the "Pre-cast" and "Marshallite" words that are most of use to me (Although I dont think the blocks are actually marshalite, if I can find them at the right size and shade they would suffice) - I can now do a google search with better hits.

Its going to be a nightmare finding these isnt it. I have considerd making some concrete blocks of my own with a mould / cast from one of the original blocks? Time consuming but possibly an option? (As I will only need a small amount enough to fill about half the size of a door frame - I managed to save a number of blocks from the wall where the new doorway is).

They realy are quite grim, it must look like the whole house has been clad.
I agree with Thermo they do very much look like the type of blocks used by some in their gardens but I imagine they arent the same as the house was built so long ago. Good luck finding them or casting your own (which sounds like an interesting project). ;)

I admit it would be totally shocking in an urban area and given the choice I wouldnt have it like that, but budgets, location, large gardens and other factors made it a good buy.

It doesnt look so bad in context as its on a quiet road set back on a driveway on the outskirts of a village which has several nearby buildings made from real Oxfordshire stone and cotswold stone. So in a bizarre way, it doesnt look too out of place here (Well, its been here 75 years already).

Maybe the next buyer will render it all (its a renovation project), but they'd have to get next door to do there's as well, else it really would stand out!!

Anyway. I think I have cracked it thanks to some of the help on this forum. Cheers!!

A couple of companies think they can provide something very similar - which will do, the doorway is tucked away in a corner at the back of the house on a single storey extension (built at same time as house), so I can always runs some trellis and a climber up it if it doesnt look similar enough- or even paint it???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back